nikon d850

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
why have we seen no comments about the d850 is it that good or that bad.
I am considering purchasing one
I mainly take landscapes & panoramas

I spent a few hours reading about it here on this forum before I bought one. But it seemed to come up more in discussions about the Z6 and Z7 rather than D850 threads. And it is that good. the ability to recover so much data from shadows or blown highlights is amazing. My D4s is good for that but not nearly as good.

I love mine. I love the multiple exposure feature, the in camera focus stacking feature, the ability to focus lock with incredible accuracy and the flip screen and the touch screen...this is truly a magnificent camera but as others have posted, you'd best have a pretty fast computer if you plan on doing massive batch edits on 47 mb files.

The files the camera produce are huge and take some time to work with, even despite having a computer that lends itself well to the task.

The camera itself is very capable and often referred to among the “one of the best DSLR cameras ever made.”

I did a ton of reading and watching of videos before I purchased mine. I have no regrets about doing so. It comes up in conversations about the Z7 since they share a nearly identical sensor. I’ve considered trading my D750 in for the Z7 as a second body, but haven’t been able to convince myself to do so yet since there’s so many conflicting reviews.

Very happy with mine. It's exactly what I expected. A solid, well-built camera that delivers outstanding image quality, with a ton of features. I have yet to use the flip-out rear LCD (truth be told, I rarely do any more than glance at the rear LCD on any of my cameras), and yes, the file size can make processing bit sessions a bit of a slog, but, it's worth it.

This is the best Nikon camera ever made and I have been shooting with Nikon for over 5 years. I have over several of Nikon film and now digital camera's and this will most likely be that last digital DSLR I will buy for several years if not the last camera period. Whether you're shooting weddings, landscapes, portraits, action or wildlife, the D850 won't leave you wanting. This is a much more versatile proposition than the D810, or the Nikon D850 is a brilliant DSLR, and perhaps the most well-rounded camera we've ever built by Nikon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends what you're shooting. I was shooting sports with a D5 for about 2 hours, and when I shot with my D7200 afterwards, it like going back in time. Big chunk of cash for the D5 though. Have not had the pleasure of shooting with a D850, but I'm sure it is wonderful.

I've had one for a while now and I am coming from a D7000, D750. Compared to the D750, the biggest improvement is in the amount I can crop and or enlarge. The D850 also has a better focusing system and larger buffer. I can lock focus on birds in flight much better than with the D750. I haven't seen any IQ improvement with shots in normal lighting and moderate cropping or enlargements of stationary objects. In fact, I think the D750 does a little better in low light than the D850.

Picked a new one up last fall. I also have a D500 that I bought used early last year. As a birder, I use the D500 more than the D850, but for everything but birding, I use the D850. Really like both bodies. They are twins, with virtually identical controls and impressive AF systems. Only disadvantage to the D850 is the time it takes to download raw files. In order to get the most out of the D850, you will want to buy premium glass, which you should consider before you purchase. There is one walk around lens that is talked about which is the Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, but if you want the most out of the camera you will go with the trinity of 12-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 along with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. I also recommend the normal primes of 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 along with the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro.

I have a lot invested in Nikon dslr bodies and glass, but if I were going to start over from scratch, I would look closely at mirrorless especially the Sony a7R III.

Most reactions

Back