Nikon D90 + Alot of extras for £1,099

ThornleyGroves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so ill be buying this D90

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D90-New...39:1|66:2|65:16|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

it comes with

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0) Lens
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AFS DX VR Lens (Black)
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D Lens
Titanium .45X Wide Angle Lens
2x Telephoto Lens
16GB Secure Digital Card
USB Secure Digital Card Reader
LowerPro CompuDaypack
Hard Case
Tripod
Mini Tripod
Rapid Fire Home and Car Charger
Flash
Lens Cleaning Kit
Universal Screen Protectors

All For 1,099 pounds

is this a good price? and also are the lens' good thanks?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know if that's a good deal but this what I think about what's included in the kit.

The zoom lenses are the kit lenses usually sold with Nikon dSLRs. They are entry level lenses. They are OK and will take reasonable pictures but don't expect top class pictures (sharpness, control of distortion and chromatic aberration, build quality, etc won't be up there with the more expensive lenses). On the other hand the 50mm is supposed to be a good lens and would be ideal as a portrait lens on a D90.

The add-on lenses are useless IMHO. They will considerably deteriorate the image quality.

I am surprised that a third party charger is included as the D90 should come with one in the box. Weird.

The tripods are also useless IMHO. They look flimsy and will hardly hold the weight of the camera+lens.

The flash does not look like a Nikon dedicated unit and is probably not very powerful. You won't be able to exploit all the flash photography features offered by the D90 with that flash.

To conclude, I think a lot of the items in this bundle are cheap useless accessories. If I were you I would research what I need and buy only those items from a reputable dealer such as warehoueexpress.

okay thank you for your opinions really appriciate it, ill do some more looking around, but basically i want a D90 but with 2 lens' and possibly a 55mm-200mm zoom lens which ill look round for!
also is it a worthwhile investment in buying a Nikon Flash?

Get the body, drop all the accessories, then spend the money you save on quality glass. Your picture albums will fill with better pics that way. ;)

The only lens worth keeping on your list is the Nikkor 50mm. From there I would suggest you look at the Sigma 18-50 HSM macro and later on at a good 70-200 range. Also, what brand is the flash? There is a TON of difference between a Sunpack 383 and a Nikon SB-(any model)! It is incredible how much differences a good lens and flash makes!

Looks like 75% of the things on your list are low quality fluff made to make the package look good.

Last edited:
I agree with Jerrr...

The Body seems really nice from what I've read but the accessories are kinda whack.

Like what speed is the mem card?

The 2x telephoto is a filter type? If so is it AC or APO? (See my Sig list for a brief description.)

The 0.45x probably vignettes at anything under 60mm and 0.45x of 60mm is like 26mm (??) - and you already have 18mm covered so it's useful? Or am I wrong? I could be...

The Lens Cleaning Kit is useless for modern lenses. You might need a sensor cleaning kit tho - maybe.

Etc. etc. Others have said more.

if you're not crazy for video or ISO3200, I'd recommend a new or used D80 body, and some better-than-kit glass. IF you could find a D80 with the 18-70 DX, 50/1.8, 70-300, you'd save some money and still have a bitchin' starting kit. there are also third-party lenses to keep in mind - a few have suggested sigma (personally, don't like, but oh well, hit-n-miss) - I suggest tamrons 17-50/2.8. a friend of mine had a canon mount of this lens and loved it.
Flashes - despite what everyone says, you can find NEW SB800s for $300 or less, quite easily if you look around. I don't know how valid that will be in the UK though, sorry. I would recommend buying a nikon flash as your first, though so you can use CLS, and TTL and all that good stuff to get started. SB600s are about $225 CDN, which, to me, is a steal.
memory cards are important. but not overly. just don't go cheap, and stay with a brand you've heard of. Lexar, SanDisk, Kingston, PNY, etc. not something like a DaneElec lol.
lens cleaning kit - 6 dollars is the most I've spent on one.. and I end up using a mircofibre clothe, anyway. they come free with glasses :). or are like 5 bucks at your camera shop.
sensor cleaning kit - doesn't the d90 have a self-cleaning unit like the D7/300? if so, forget about it. works pretty good. if it needs more than that, stop changing your lenses in duststorms and send it to nikon for cleaning.
after it's all said and done, you can buy a tripod. spend as much as you can. they last forever.
ultimatly, spend as much as you can on everything. not so you have the newest, coolest gear, but you won't end up replacing it so quickly as you start to grow a bit. naturally, not everyone wants to spend 90% of their income on a hobby, so I will leave it at that.

best of luck!

HOnestly, I got the Canon XTi off ebay with a bunch of accessories, i dont even use half of them... The lenses are fairly cheap and I am now moving up to better quality lenses, if I could have, I would go back, get the body only, and use the rest on my lenses...

Most reactions

Back