Nikon D90 'errors'

olmo47

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$photo-1.jpg$photo-2.jpg

OK, here is my question: I am in the middle 'beginner & and middle' I have this Nikon D90 for about 1 1/2 years, latly star giving me 'error' like the pictures shows.

1-will not turn off.

2-on the bottom right conner appears 'CHA' blinking.

3-I have to take the battery off to turn off.

4-I take (not sure what mode) a picture, but wont register the picture, and after a little (seconds) I here the shutter clicking.

I have review one DVD on the D90, (Nikon D90 Blue Crane) I have reset the camera few times, in view of the error I am getting.

Not sure if is the SD card? Battery is charge.

I am some what frustrated, so any input is welcome.

Thank you

olmo47

D90 user's manual page 256 and 257 shows CHA indicates the memory card is locked or in some other way is not usable.

There is the possibility the card contacts in the card slot are damaged. You will need to shine a light down the slot to look at them.

Replace mem card or reformat in camera (reformat helped with mine when CHA error popped up).
Never had a CHA error until I started using an external card reader instead of the USB cord for image transfers. [shrug]

I had a D90 and never uploaded from the camera, always used a card reader, reformatted the card in he camera, and never had a CHA error.

The OPs problem is likely bent card contacts in the card slot, because the camera will not turn off. The D90 is acting like it's trying to load images to the card but can't, and can't turn off until it has emptied it's write buffer.

I had a D90 and never uploaded from the camera, always used a card reader, reformatted the card in he camera, and never had a CHA error.

The OPs problem is likely bent card contacts in the card slot, because the camera will not turn off. The D90 is acting like it's trying to load images to the card but can't, and can't turn off until it has emptied it's write buffer.

Only relating my own experience in case it might help. Just because it wasn't your experience doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

Thanks gays, I have replace the SD 2 times, I have format the card 2-3 times, I haven't look inside, that is a good suggestion, will do. I f that would it be the case (card slot) what are the choices?

I have notice (now that I have thinking all possibility) that when I have update the 'firmware' i have notice some errors, would that be posible?

Also some time take pictures and put them on the card other times not, is this relevant?

Is there a way to get out of the Camera software the 'LOGS' from 'firmware' to send to Nikon?

Thanks for good suggestion.

olmo47

PS. how do I get notification via email, so I won't go all the forum looking for my post if some one replay?

Last edited:
Also some time take pictures and put them on the card other times not, is this relevant?

Are you saying that you are using your memory card like a flash drive? If so, yes, that is relevent.

It would easily explain the error you are getting.

no just on the Camera to put pictures I take.

I when i got a new SD card, I check inside the SD card slot didn't see any a normalities.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back