NIkon D90 lens choice help

telly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I just bought a Nikon D90 body to replace my Sony a200 and was wondering what the best beginner lens would be for the Nikon. I have done some research on the lenses themselves but I am on a budget and would very much appreciate any advice, comments or opinions given. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 It's a great lens for a new beginner or a seasoned pro and it only costs around $200 new.

Merry Christmas!!!

The 35mm 1.8 stays on my D90 most of the time. I prefer it over my 50mm 1.8. I looooove prime lenses. I like to practice manual focusing with it.

I recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 It's a great lens for a new beginner or a seasoned pro and it only costs around $200 new....
I had that lens for a little while. I sold it, because it actually wasn't great, having:
  • Slightly soft focus and low in contrast wide open
  • Lateral chromatic aberration was somewhat higher than the AF 50mm f/1.8D prime.
  • It was prone to purple fringing and bokeh chromatic aberration, mostly visible at large apertures
  • It was DX.
You haven't stated what kind of photography you like to do, a key factor for recommending a lens.

I mostly photograph animals, landscape and nature. I have started to photograph people but I'm mostly into taking pictures of animals/nature.

Personally tho the Primes are great and one should have one or two. I recommend starting with the kit lenses like the 18-55 & 55-200vr combo or the 18-105. Why?

Well have found many walkaround,indoor,event where feet zooming with a prime to be problematic,restrictive when framing a shot. As a walkaround and general lens would always recommend a zoom lens that allows me to frame the shot when I don't have the luxury of time to feet zoom and miss the shot or due to restrictions can't back up due to a wall and obstacles. Or safety issue of stepping out into the street to get subject framed. For me anyways I found a zoom more flexible and usable in more situations.

A good prime like a 50mm 1.4! It will force you into learning to use your feet to zoom in and out and it's one sharp a@@ piece of glass IMHO. Having the 1.4 lets you shoot in lower lights since the D90's ISO performance doesn't set any records. With that said, I'll sell you my VR zoom lenses that have a bunch of dust on them but a very low shutter count. Primes (excluding the 35mm 1.8) and my 70-200 now sort of complete my needs.

Nearly 75% of the photos I took this last year were with the 17-55 2.8 AFS, the remainder divided between the 85 1.4D and 70-200 2.8 VRI. So based on my track record a mid range zoom would be the recommendation. I know it's not the most inspiring lens to mount on a dx body but it's just so damed easy to use. Your mileage may vary.

IMHO, most bang for your buck: 35mm f1.8
I would also suggest a zoom in a range that fits your "nature and animals" needs.

Thanks, Ralph

Although I agree with the prime lens suggestions, most people want a zoom of some sort. I'm also assuming your on a budget.

I'd suggest a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or a sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (constant aperture). Both are high-quality normal range zooms that are good for everyday use.

For shots of animals, you'll likely want some more reach. The best bang for your buck is a nikon 70-300mm af ed lens. These can be had for $90 used on ebay.

I just bought the Nikon AF 70-300 mm for $80 and the 35mm f 1.8 for $180. I really REALLY appreciate all of your advice everyone! :D
You guys have been so much help to me. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm just starting out with these ones, and as I save up some money I will eventually get more I think.

Most reactions

Back