Nikon D90 or D700

Jay1205

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest for a camera and couple of lenses that best for portrait purposes. My budget is around 6k. I'm thinking either a Nikon D90 or D700. If I choose to go with the D90 I can use the rest of the money for high end glass and accessories, or should I get the D700 since it's a better camera so that i don't have to upgrade few months down the road? Thanks for all your suggestions in advance.

D90 is superseded by the D7000 so at least consider that one. The D700 is more of a "Pro" bodied, full frame (FX) sensor. A D700 would be a treasured tool but unless you plan on taking advantage of the larger sensor and rugged body the D7000 would most likely be a wiser choice. Glass is expensive ;)

6K? Damn. I think if that's your budget, get the D700 so you won't feel the need to upgrade to full frame later on. You can get a used one around $2300 and spend the rest on good lens. the 70-200mm 2.8 is one of the lens for portraits which is 2400$ new. You can find used one, I recommend that. Or the 80-200mm which is an older lens but less than half the price of the 70-200mm.

I agreed. If not the D700, get the D7000. It's a great camera. Anyways GL, more experts will chime in.

I have both, I saw a huge difference in capabilities of the D700 in low light compared to the D90. I say go D700 and invest in a couple good lenses to start. The 80 to 200 is a good choice if you would rather save 1300 on the 70 - 200, and a couple decent primes. Maybe a wide angle for group portraits if you need.

I have a D700 and it is a superb camera for portraiture work. Keep in mind, however, it is FX and the D90, which correct me if I'm wrong, is now discontinued or soon will be, is DX. You can use FX lenses on a DX, with the 1.5x "crop factor" in focal length, but the reverse is not true; you will get vignetting with DX lenses because they do not need to cover as much of an area at the sensor.

If you will be using it mostly for portrait purposes, I suggest you get 85mm and 105mm focal length lenses. For most outdoor portraiture, I prefer to use my 180mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor because I can stop it down to f/4, and throw the background totally out of focus, while still getting razor sharp images. Depending on the situation will still use my 85mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkors. Or you can go with a zoom over primes but you will be taking it in the shorts when it comes to lens speed, and therefore low light capability without having to go to a higher IS and your depth of field control will not be as good.

And by the way, manual focus Nikkors (which are all I have) work superbly on a D700 and you can use the non-CPU lens feature to get EXIF data and matrix metering as well.

You are comparing a semi pro camera to a prosumer one.

The d700 is superior in probably every way, assuming one is ok with full frame (and unless you have DX specific lenses, there is no reason to not get full frame if money is not an issue).

I hear nikon might be releasing a new full frame within the year, though that is unverified.

I can use DX lenses on my D700, the camera just enables crop factor. Yes you can get some vignetting but you can compensate for it if needed. Some off brand lenses such as Sigma/Tamron will not work on a D700 but you will know right away if they do or not.

Go the D700. I had the D90 for 2 years before upgrading and it is definitely worth the extra $$. IF you will actually be making use of the stuff that makes it better (high ISO capabilities, full-frame sensor...etc)

It rather depends on what you're shooting, but if you've got six grand to blow, I'm inclined to suggest the D700.

Keep in mind, however, it is FX and the D90, which correct me if I'm wrong, is now discontinued or soon will be, is DX. You can use FX lenses on a DX, with the 1.5x "crop factor" in focal length, but the reverse is not true;
Indeed, but that could work in your favour. I've seen the D90 priced, at retail, below $700. That is an astonishing deal.

If your not in a hurry and doesnt have big assignement that require low light, i would buy some nice glass right now and a D90 or d7000, keep around 2500$ in the bank and wait for the d400 or d800. Once they are out, you can always sell the d90 for not much less you paid for and drop the money on a new body. thats what i would do.

If your not in a hurry and doesnt have big assignement that require low light, i would buy some nice glass right now and a D90 or d7000, keep around 2500$ in the bank and wait for the d400 or d800. Once they are out, you can always sell the d90 for not much less you paid for and drop the money on a new body. thats what i would do.

Exactly what I did. Anticipating a new high end cam soon eone day but Nikon got delayed because of the Japan damage and it won't be soon. I have a D7000 on order, it'll be here Thursday according to UPS tracking.

I never recommend waiting for the next new model.

The D700 is a much better camera for doing portraiture, because of it's FX image sensor, than either the D90 or the D7000 and their DX image sensor.

Get the D700 now, use it until the D800(?) has been available for 6 months to a year, and then decide if you want to upgrade to the D800(?).

Waiting on a camera that is not announced yet is not a good idea in my opinion. You will missing photographic opportunities while waiting a year or more before you can actually take delivery of the next new model. A d700 for portraiture is a superb tool that will produce quality images for many years. For studio portrait work you don't need a plethora of lenses. Primes of 35, 50, 85 or 105 will likely enable you to undertake most assignments. Look in the used market for older manual focus lenses. Don't get too hung up on getting the fastest lenses, very few studio portraits are shot at f1.4 or f1.8. Budget almost as much for lights, modifiers, backgrounds and props as you do for camera and lenses. Don't forget printing, mounting and display.

If u care about video buy the d7000, if u don't buy a d700.

I would not recommend a d90 to someone with 6k to invest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back