Nikon D90 Shutter

AleechaRae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm a big time amateur photographer.
Lately I've been doing a lot of photography work for bands.
I use a Nikon D90, then lens it came with currently.

But I'm having a lot of trouble with shutter speed. I know when you are in a darker room it has a harder time picking things and movements up. This is a problem when band members are thrashing around the stage. I usually have to resort to flash, and I really don't like flash. I see other Photographers who don't have this problem so I am here seeking advice on how to help battle my camera's shutter.

Thanks so much <3

Aleech, agreed. You need a faster lens (a lens with a wider maximum aperture such as 1.4 or 1.8 as suggested above). The smaller the number (e.g., 1.4, 1.8, 2.8 versus 3.5 or 5.6), the wider the opening (or aperture) which will let in more light. Something else you might consider is cranking up the ISO to over 1,000, maybe in the 1200 or 1600 range. This will make the faster lenses even FASTER which will help a lot.

Shoot the images in RAW format (not JPEG) and use post processing in Photoshop or Lightroom to finish the pictures.

I have a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 that I picked up at Adorama for about $200 which is terrific. It's a prime lens (no zooming--you have to zoom by moving closer or further away from the subject) but it takes great images.

Most reactions

Back