Nikon D90 vs D5000

rtmcc5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We are looking at getting our first DSLR camera after a couple p & S cameras. Most of our use will be family events and sports both indoor and out.

The other driving force to get a new camera is to be able to use it to photograph our show cattle sale prospects for both web and print applications. This is always done outside with variable weather conditions. Most calves are black with a few being white hided. The shiny fuzzy black calf in direct sunlight or with a snowy background can offer some challenges. The other challenge is the calves don't necessarily stand still when they hit that perfect pose for the "money shot." We need something fast.

For our budget I have it narrowed down to a Nikon D90 or a D5000 with a Canon T2i still in contention. I really like the D90 and have had many good recommendations on it. The D5000 seems to have many of the same options.

My question is, is the D90 worth the extra $$ over the D5000? The lower cost of the D5000 may make it easier to add a faster extra lens. This is a long term type investment for us and I want to do it right.

Any input would be great!
Thanks!
Ron

Not to add confusion to the pot, but the Nikon D3100 may be your answer as well.

I've shot (and owned) the D90, D5000 and D3100 and it's really hard for me to pick an overall winner, each brings something to the table that the other doesn't have.

For your purposes I'd seriously consider the D3100, I was amazed by this little camera and the image quality is excellent with great detail, and the higher ISO range is still very impressive (moreso than the D90 or D5000).

Here's a sample from it showing some fir of a different type:

Photo Walk 10/29/2010 by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

And the feathered type:

Photo Walk 10/29/2010 by Light Artisan Photography, on Flickr

In terms of image quality, I would expect the D90 and D5000 to be very close. However, in my opinion, the D90 is worth the extra $ for several reasons:

1. Built-in focus motor broadens your lens options
2. Extra scroll wheel and 2nd LCD are extremely useful and make life easier
3. Higher-quality main LCD is a pleasure to work with
4. Better view-finder

There are a few others, but I think those are the main ones that would affect your usage based on what you said. Up to you whether these are worth the extra $ to you.

BTW, now that the D7000 is out, you should be able to get some good deals on a D90 -- especially during the thanksgiving weekend.

Yep way too much menu digging and lack of dedicated controls on the D5000.
D90 gives me the ability to make changes to the shot without my eye leaving the viewfinder. And built in motor for some cheaper tho primo nikon lenses in the AF and AF-D category. Can also take a real grip for portrait shooting and extra juice.

The D90 is a camera that has features and controls that you can grow into. Not a cam with lack of controls and features that you grow out of like the D5000. At least that was the case for me after about 9months.

that little wheel worth 100s of dollard imo! lol

Hi, I bought my first DSLR in July this year, after a lot of online research I chose the D5000. I looked hard at the D90 and wondered if it would be worth my while digging that little deeper in my pockets.

After several months of usage (and constant self tutoring) I'm now looking to upgrade. Not because I think the D5000 is inferior in any way, in fact it's a fantastic camera. My main two reasons are; I've taken a huge interest in portrait photography and feel that the CLS commander mode would be a huge bonus for my SB-600 (and future SB-900 purchase). Secondly, the lack of a motor for the lens means that AF-S lenses tend to be more expensive. There's lots of second hand AF lenses on ebay at great prices, whereas the AF-S's are around 3 times more expensive!

In hindsight, had I chosen the D90 I'd have no need to upgrade at all. I'm currently looking at the D7000 as my next choice, again it's a little more expensive than the D90 but from all the reviews I'm reading, it seems better than the D300s in many ways too.

So, I'd recommend the D90 if I were in your shoes.

:)

Thanks everyone for your input. After much research and consulting the people I trust that know this stuff we got the D90 last weekend! I stuck with the kit lens for now as they had a pretty good sale on the kit but not when you just bought the body. After we get a feel for it and learn a little more about what we need we can look at other lenses. Haven't had time to do much more than charge the battery and get it out of the box yet. Can't wait to spend a little time with it if the sun ever shines when I am home.

Is there any good books in addition to the manual that you would suggest? I have heard "Mastering the D90" by Darrel Young is good. Any input?

Thanks again!
Ron
:sexywink:

I like the Digital Field Guides myself, most book stores should have them in stock.

Congrats on the purchase!

Congrats on the great purchase. D90 is a great camera. Any of the books would point you in the right direction. Very cool...

I sound like a broken record sometimes on this issue but...

If you see yourself buying lower focal length prime lenses in the future, consider the cost savings of an AF vs. the AF-S versions. This alone can make up for the price difference between the D5000 and D90. For 20,35,50, and 85mm prime lenses AF-S an unnecessary expense.

Most reactions

Back