Nikon Df

MartinCrabtree

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have experience with one? I've got my eye on one that is a steal and have a thing for Nikon MF glass so it'd be perfect. At least that's what I think. Anyone?

I sold my D800 & all of my F2.8 zooms in favor of a DF and AF primes. I'm super happy!

NikonDF.JPG

I tried out the Df when it came out. Very nice size for a carry around full frame DSLR. I felt they were overpriced initially so now I am actually interested again. If the price had been like the Z6 is right now it would have been a good deal. I expect a number of photographers that just wanted a small body went with the Df and now they are going with the Z6 or Z7, so prices look to finally be dropping on the Df.

I tried out the Df when it came out. Very nice size for a carry around full frame DSLR. I felt they were overpriced initially so now I am actually interested again. If the price had been like the Z6 is right now it would have been a good deal. I expect a number of photographers that just wanted a small body went with the Df and now they are going with the Z6 or Z7, so prices look to finally be dropping on the Df.
That's exactly what I did! I can't afford a Z6 right now, with enough Z glass to cover most ranges. I don't like adapters. And then when I saw how big the 50mm Z lens was, it made me fall in love with my 50mm 1.8D so I bought the DF. Glad I did. I shut up my need for a Z6 for now. In time, I'll get one, but I'll wait a couple years. Keeping my DF. It's my final DSLR. Love it!

Agreed. I thought the initial price was a little outrageous, especially considering the 16MP sensor and the 39-pt AF module.

Wish they made it with the 24MP sensor and the 51pt AF module.

Agreed about the 51 focal points and 24MP. That would have been nice.
But so far, I'm finding that I'm fine with 16MP. I was concerned because I'm coming from a D800.

I never considered it because:

- looks ugly
- ergonomics are worse than your average Nikon DSLR
- poor autofocus module
- really poor bang for the buck

I thought the initial price was a little outrageous, especially considering the 16MP sensor and the 39-pt AF module.
WTF

Why do people think: more megapixel = better ?

The truth is: more megapixel = SMALLER pixels

The sensor in the Df is the same as the sensor in the D4(s), the TOP camera from Nikon back then.

And its output is awesome.

The problem of the Df was the autofocus module.

IMHO, the Df is designed for someone who wants the look and feel of a mid 70's film SLR. Kind of a nostalgia thing. I think they look cool and I'm sure they are good picture takers. Is 16MP enough? I think it is in most cases.

I never considered it because:
The truth is: more megapixel = SMALLER pixels

cool story. This logic means zilch anymore.

And this is not a debate if 16MP is enough or not; the 24MP sensor is the better sensor -- regardless of pixel size -- and was readily available at the time. Everything else about the Df is shared from the D600 (Image Processor, Shutter Mechanism [assuming], and sub-par AF module) -- so it really made no sense for them to couple it with the lower MP/DR sensor. Coupled with the price tag compared to the D600/610 at the time, it was quite a ridiculous camera.

My thought it Nikon had a stash of the 16MP sensors leftover from the D4 collecting dust and put them in a random camera no one wanted to buy in the first place. Because the best way to keep market-share in a shrinking market is to spend money on those sorts of endeavors.

Well for me personally, I love the DF. I sold my D800 to get it and I don't miss it at all. I love the unique style of the DF. I love the dials! Those big beautiful dials!!!
To each his own. No regrets for me. When I eventually obtain a Z6, I'll keep my DF. It will be my last DSLR and she's a keeper.

I'm not saying it's a bad camera, or a bad choice to use one. But at the time of release, it had dated entry-level components/stats at a very premium price.

Not personally a huge fan of the dials, but I see some merits in them. But had they used used the expeed 4 processor, 51pt af module, the 24MP sensor, and 1/8000 shutter at the same price (all available at the time) it would have made more sense and made it much less of a gimmick camera, imo.

you were paying a LOT of money for big old dials when it first came out, because the price certainly wasn't going into innovation.

It's a love/hate thing. I love the dials. A lot! I really do. So I'm super thrilled I made the switch. Hell, I've had the DF with me each day, since I've got it.
I didn't do that before with my other cameras. So all specs aside, it's what I needed/wanted. I honestly haven't noticed any issues with the af module, at least not the way I shoot.
For me, I love the size, weight, style, controls/dials, etc... and the low light performance is the best I've ever had.

Last edited:
That's always been the appeal of the flagship cameras. They have pretty dismal DR at base 100, but were designed to produce decent shots in crummy lighting. Same is true with the D5 and D500 today. Maybe it has something to do with those larger pixels ;)

However, I've a lot of comparisons between the 24MP sensor in my D610 and the 36MP sensors in the D800 and the IQ is identical at all ISO levels -- the D800 just captures SO much more detail.

Last edited:
I just know I'm in love with mine. It gave me the "downsize" I was wanting in mirrorless, but without spending much. I take the DF and 35mm F2 with my everywhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back