Nikon digital lens conversion

tasman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a Nikon D80 and I have a Nikon F100 with a few lenses that will work on the D80.
I know that there is a conversion factor for the lens size of 1.6 so my 28-80mm is now a 45-128mm and my 70-300mm is now a 112-480mm. I understand this part.

But what does it do to the F factor or aperture on digital? Does this change too?

Example: 28-80mm F3.3-5.6 and 70-300mm F4-5.6 on my F100 Camera

I though the Nikon 'crop factor' was 1.5...Canon's is 1.6...not that it make a lot of difference.

But what does it do to the F factor or aperture on digital? Does this change too?
No.

You must be from Edmonton :thumbup:

Sadly, a lot of people at McBain can't always be trusted to give good information...although 1.5 and 1.6 really is an insignificant difference.

If you are planning to get a D80 from McBain...don't forget to find a better price and get them to price match. Usually their prices are pretty high...but they will match any price at another store in Canada.

Yes, the Nikon factor is 1.5. Yes the difference between that and 1.6 would be insignificant. Let's hear it for 1.0!!!!

Yes, I am in Edmonton. I try not to shop at McBains, they are high priced. I will try and buy it online from someone else if they dont price match it.
I bought my F100 from B&H only because it was the lowest price even with the conversion of the Dollar and McBains wouldnt price match it.

I don't do a lot of buying at McBain either...mostly just window shopping. They will only match prices of items that are in-stock at real stores, in Canada. They don't match on-line stores or US stores.

Some items are still worth ordering from the US (B&H & Adorama etc.) but the shipping is usually the killer. There is no duty on photo gear, but if you get it shipped via ground with UPS, FedEx etc...then the brokerage will be insanely high.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back