Nikon doesnt improve ? (Rant)

then buy the Pentax K-3,
and Rant solved.

Doesnt fit my glass and isnt full frame, duh !

You can please some of the people some of the time, but pleasing everyone all of the time is impossible. When selecting a product from an 'off the self' line up you must prioritize your needs followed by expectations and desires. The product is then selected from the available choices that ticks the most boxes. We all have to make that choice.

Totally custom products suited to our every individual needs and preferences are sometimes available but the price will not be at mass market levels. A product I am familiar with is furniture. For example a person can buy a fairly nice oak rocking chair from a mid scale shop for $400 to $500, however if someone wants me to build a chair customized to their body's physique, their physical abilities, their aesthetic tastes and their design preferences, which can all be done, the price will be from 5 to 10 times the price of the off the shelf product.

We are all allowed to rant to relieve stress, express frustration or effect an action. Ranting is good, but ranting about something where we can effect a change is better.

Wow, love reading these rants. I would say read the manual and decide on the level you need. For me I use most of the features at one point or the other. I kept wanting more so I went from a D200 to d700 then to D4 and D800. Love both of my current bodies. But still kept my old d7000 as a knock around take canoeing with an old lens.

Yup,
the d800 has some simple features that I like but I simply can't afford. So my d7000 does well until I get a d600 which doesn't have those features either). most noteably the separate thumb activated AF-ON and AE-L/AF-L buttons.
Oh well. with enough money you can get more features.

I have NEVER understood the idea of changing the ISO while the camera is at my eye, and I am in the process of taking shots...this to me seems a lot like the complaint that one cannot watch YouTube videos on one's smartphone while also simultaneously texting or conducting a voice call...in other words, a sort of made-up complaint. Of course, I grew up shooting ASA 64 Kodachrome for 10 years whenever there was "color in the camera", and I grew up shooting Tri-X at ASA 400 for 20+ years whenever there was B&W in the camera, so I am used to ASA/ISO being a basic setting that is set ahead of time, and then one "deals with it" knowing what the film speed simply "is", or "needs to be". So, I just absolutely can NOT see the need to be able to futz around with my ISO while looking through the viewfinder. If it's raining, I put my jacket on before I go outside.

If you are using Aperture priority and the speed is going too low, you can increase the ISO. I shoot in the forest all the time and get light bound... Sometimes I have auto ISO set, sometimes not. I try and shoot the lowest ISO I can. Helps me. JD

Made-to-order custom built camera...come on Nikon! Just do it already!

My only complaints in Nikon's camp is first, they don't have an FX camera that I want. There really isn't a happy medium between the D600/610 and the D800. Basically, they don't have anything resembling an offering that can be directly comparable to the Canon 5D Mk 3. Ideally, I'd want something with the D800's build quality, 51 point AF, 6-8 fps, and 24MP sensor. But to expand slightly on the AF points, regardless of which camera you buy, they're all too centralized. I want something that's edge to edge, and corner to corner. I actually shoot with the 1.3 crop on my D7100 quite often because it'll cover more or less the whole frame, which, even though it would drive me crazy with Canon's 61 point system, that's something that they more or less have right.

If Nikon made that particular camera, many would flock. Its a huge gap. I, like many, really don't want or need 36 megapixels. 24 is good. Everything else about the D800 outside of the AF points, sensor and frame rate is about perfect.

DX is just a joke though, at this point in time. There hasn't been a direct replacement for the D300s, so the D7100 has to suffice. I'm not going to knock it, by any stretch of the imagination...outside of its buffer, it's a solid camera. The build doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's taken a bit of a beating since I got it and still no issues. Again though, I'll nit-pick the AF points, but while shooting in crop mode, it suffices when I need it.

At this point in time, I'm of the frame of mind where if we don't get either a D400 or a comparable answer to the 5D Mk 3 within 2014, I think I'll just sell off my Nikon kit and get an Oly EM-1. At least then, I'll mostly have the right lenses (giving DX a death stare) without going 3rd party, and a lot of my beef with AF point placement would be taken care of.

Most reactions

Back