all in my brain...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
shawndeveau.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this lens worth repairing?

I got it with a bag of old Nikon lenses and would like to try it on my OM-D E-M5 with an adapter.

I'm guessing it's been dropped. In Manual mode the focus ring will not turn, though it does spin freely in Auto mode. Attached to an F-601, I can hear the motor turning but the lens does not even attempt to focus.

Anyone had experience with this kind of damage? Can it be fixed?

TIA!

Shawn

$021.JPG$027.JPG

Assuming no other damage, it's indeed a very good lens, typically trading for between $500 - 850 on the used market depending on condition and version. I would definitely take it to a local repair shop for an estimate.

That is a previous generation pro grade lens (1993 - 1997). Good used copies sell for about $600 - $650.
It's the 3rd one down in this lineup - Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 History
There are a lot of those lenses still around so parts are available. I would definitely get a repair estimate and get the lens repaired if the cost is at or under $500 USD.

Nikon still sells as new, the next newer generation (1997 to today) $1100 2-ring Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this lens and love it! Depending on the cost of repair. I paid less than 400 for a near mint copy.

The push-pull version (with a single ring and no tripod color) generally sells for significantly less than $400. Occasionally one sells for a few dollars over that, and one gets the impression the buyer didn't realize it was not the later 2-ring model.

I wouldn't recommend repairing or purchasing a push-pull version. The cost of cleaning and lubrication alone will be more than half the full price. Compared to a 2-ring version, which are the ones costing $500-800, it isn't worth doing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back