Nikon Equipment Advice

Thanks so much y'all for the thoughts on what a speedlight might do to help me get better pics. That's a fun idea that I never would have considered...exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. I'd like to see one in action so I'll try and get some help in a store or from a friend soon.

The only improvement I know over the Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX is the Sigma 30mm f1.4, but that lens is reportedly a bit less sharp.

I dont like flashes either, but a SB600/SB700 can be "bounced" and that makes flashes a lot more fun to use, because the pictures look a lot better than with a direct flash. If done well, one cant even tell anymore if a flash was used.

I think the D3000 is an old camera and needs to be replaced.
Weird reason.

I think the D3000 is an old camera and needs to be replaced.
Weird reason.
Actually not at all depends of your look of things, not just photography but in a larger scale..................

You can use same cell phone for 10 years (if it doesnt break) or move with technology and get the new and improve every few years.
You can keep same car for 20 years or get the better, safer more fuel efficient car every 3-4 years (if you can afford it)
You can stick to VHS or move to Blu-Ray
I can continue on and on and on.

If you are happy with an old camera then god bless you but obviously a new camera will give you better pictures especially in low light, no right or wrong just a way of looking at life.
I had a Sony a300 wonderful DSLR but when the sun went down the noise came and I found myself limited, with my old D7000 I used 3200ISO as if it was 400ISO on the old Sony.
I love new technology and I will buy new stuff if I find it has a significance advantage over the older device and I think the D3000 while still capable is an old camera which I think should be replaced, but that's me.

I agree with the jump to the D5200. If you can stretch it, and sell your D3000 in the process to get the extra little bit of money, get it with the 18-105 kit lens, for roughly $1100, or if you don't mind shopping online, Amazon is always an excellent option too! See here!

Amazon.com: Nikon D5200 24.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black): NIKON: Camera & Photo

I'f money permits, I'd look into the Yongnuo YN-565EX hotshoe flash. I'll be honest. I don't have this particular flash, but from what I understand, it's fairly under-rated for the price point, being able to keep up with some of the mid to upper level flashs from Nikon and Canon. [h=1]Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon: Camera & Photo[/h]
Since the D5200's image quality is similar to the D7100, here's a shot I took with the D7100 and the 18-105 to get a rough feel for what can be done with the set up.

$Krashed Kids sm.jpg

This is a picture of a friend's kids, taken on a road trip. It was shot hand held and without a whole lot of editing in post process.

I even used the 18-105 at a wedding I shot, using it in curiosity to what it could do in that situation. Here's an image from that.

$Emotions sm.jpg

Just some food for thought, at any rate.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back