Nikon F2AS

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Its amazing to me that a film camera produced in the 70's still commands hundreds of dollars -- at least on ebay. The versions I've been looking at with the DP-12 finder cannot be had for less than $200, often $300. Talk about holding value.

Is the F2-ASb, with the "silicon blue" finder still commanding top dollar? I had one of those that I sold back in 1987 for big money.

Its amazing to me that a film camera produced in the 70's still commands hundreds of dollars -- at least on ebay. The versions I've been looking at with the DP-12 finder cannot be had for less than $200, often $300. Talk about holding value.
Holding value?

I purchased my Canon F1n new in 1978 for about $300. To me that's not holding value 35 years later.

Romance trumps rationaliy--again. They were the last hand-made, manual F series camera. Lots of collectors(not necessarily shooters)fancy them, probably associating them with happier, healthier times. Pretty ones that didn't die young command piles of dough. Several guys on eBay specialize in locating bizarre NOS gems. Their provenance always puzzles me: lost inventory? forgotten gifts? eccentrics' estate sales?

I still have my entire F2as kit, with the mb-2/md-3 motor drive, lenses, etc. About 15 years ago I had to bring the motor drive into Nikon for repair, that was the only issue I ever had with it in 30 + years of owning the equipment.

I still have my entire F2as kit, with the mb-2/md-3 motor drive, lenses, etc. About 15 years ago I had to bring the motor drive into Nikon for repair, that was the only issue I ever had with it in 30 + years of owning the equipment.

And I forgot to mention I also have a supposedly rare DE-1 viewfinder.

I sold mine a couple of months ago on the 'bay; put a $250 BIN and it was gone in a few days. As a matter of chance, there was another one that appeared a few listings down that the guy wanted over $700 for one that wasn't as nice looking as mine (and mine had a fair amount of brassing). He said his meter worked perfectly, and my ad said that I didn't trust mine. The working meter must not have been worth the extra $$ he wanted- I came across his listing again the other day still listed at the same price, and still unsold.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I got a kick out of one of the seller's selling points for this gold-plated Nikon F with meterless "F" prism: "UNLIKE THE NIKON FA, THIS IS A REAL NIKON F !!!"

That's a lot of F's!

I got a kick out of one of the seller's selling points for this gold-plated Nikon F with meterless "F" prism: "UNLIKE THE NIKON FA, THIS IS A REAL NIKON F !!!"

To be fair Nikon made a gold plated fa and the seller just wants to make sure buyers understand that his f is one of a kind.

Of course the gold fa is probably worth more since its a factory model and not a garage modification

Take a look at the price of Leica film cameras they make Nikon look very cheap

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back