Nikon F3 shoots automatically

Pete_wolter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I’m new here, so excuse me if this isn’t the right place to post this.

A year ago I bought a Nikon F3 that seemed to work fine for a while. Suddenly I noticed a problem with the shutter. When loaded with film, the camera seems to be too ‘sensitive’ and takes pictures automatically after transporting. When I press the shutter a little bit to check the lighting meter, it takes a picture. Sometimes even without touching something.

This doesn’t happen when there’s no film inside.

Does anyone know what this can be? I brought the camera to a repair store already, but there the problem didn’t occur. This must be the case because there was no film inside.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pieter

Navy electronic tech in a former life. I'd suggest another repair shop. Purely guessing, but much like a door open interlock switch on a microwave, I suspect there is a film acknowledgement that allows photos to be taken. Your trigger is probably defective, may just need a switch (mechanical button in this case). The catch is worn in all likelihood, when loaded with film any vibration or slight pressure triggers the shutter.

The F3 is a mechanical camera with an electronic shutter release and timing circuitry. That is why, without batteries one can trip the shutter at 1/80th using the mechanical lever release located on the front below the DOF preview button. When powered by batteries, the electronic shutter release in the shutter button trips the shutter and the quartz timing circuitry gives you accurate shutter speeds.

When the back is open while loading film, the camera trips at 1/80th even through the shutter release button until you close up the back and advance to frame #1. There is no film sensor in this camera to tell the electronics if film is loaded or not, that's why you can trip the shutter at any electronic shutter speed after the counter reaches frame #1.

I suspect you have a faulty electronic release or there is some contamination in the release button that is preventing it from resetting to the ready position.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back