Nikon F3HP mechanical question

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF

I recently purchased a nice F3HP, the body is beautiful, I'm not sure if it was rebuilt or just not used, but it appears to be like new. I shot about half a roll yesterday until the light went away, then decided to play with all the buttons and knobs, to familiarize myself with the controls.

When I got to the ASA/ISO dial I was disturbed by the slight resistant, grainy feeling to the ISO dial, ASA is not too bad, but noticeable. The dials are movable and I can select the speed and exposure I want, but it's just not as smooth as I would have anticipated.

Do any of you F3 shoots out there have a similar problem? Do you just live with it?

After some research, I found one source that said it was a broken glass ring, inside the assembly. Can you verify this?

ujy5eveq.jpg

Last edited:
If your F3's FRE is busted, it's not working--and that's not a mechanical problem. Does the meter work at different ISO/aperture/shutter speed settings?

The F3 was one of Nikon's longest running models, so yours could date anywhere between the early 80s amd late 90s--physical condition notwithstanding.

The meter appears to be working correctly, It compensates for aperture and ISO. I am picking up the test roll tonight, though.

I can select film speed, and exposure, the dial will lock and stay in place.

From the research I have done, my F3 was most likely manufactured in '86.

Well, I just pulled my F3HP out...it was still on 400...I shot it almost always with Tri-X, and used FE Fe-2 or FM for slides, due to the slightly tighter finder on those bodies more closely represnting a mounted slide's field of view. Well, sorry to tell you buddy, but changing the ASA on my F3 meant I just had to lift up and turn...with so damned much force that five rotations from 400 to 800 left dents in my index finger and thumb...I tell ya man, I had forgotten all about it...but the spring pressure required to lift the dial and turn it is INSANELY high!!! And the notches are sharp-edged on that danged dial!

Yeah! I was really set back by how difficult it was, but compared to my XE7, which would accidentally get knocked off the correct setting, I'm ok with it. I'll probably be sticking closely to the Superia 400 do to cost.

I did order some Superia 1600 to play with.

I'm at Walgreens now picking up the negs

Everything is well exposed and sharp. That 105 and this F3 produce some really beautiful results.

I needed that pick-me-up today, stoked

105/2.5 for the win man!!! On the F3, that is one sweeeeeeeeet-shooting lens! The ne plus ultra of 1980's Nikonism!!!

Yes, the 105/2.5 Nikkor is one of the great tele lenses. It's a must-have for Nikon owners.

You know, I also have a Tamron 105/2.5 AdaptAll lens that is comparable to the Nikkor and can be used on other bodies.

Dunno but I prefer the 100/2.8E--a smaller, lighter lens that gives very little up to the venerable 105/2.5.

I actually had an all black 100mm series E. It was my very first AIS prime, and I picked it up at a garage sale for $20.

I ultimately sold it locally, but that was the lens that really sparked my addiction

I have a 100/2.8E as well. Very nice little lens.

0E177E3B-BA17-466C-8138-5E988FCF4FC1.jpeg
105/2.5 for the win man!!! On the F3, that is one sweeeeeeeeet-shooting lens! The ne plus ultra of 1980's Nikonism!!!

Nikon FE-2 and Nikon 105 f/2.5 glass. Portra 400 film. Straight scan from negative.

Normal. My F3's ISO dial is the same way. Luckily, I pretty much stick to iso400 so I never have to change it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back