Nikon f5 vs nikon f100

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by godek, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Johnny Garcia-Photography

Johnny Garcia-Photography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

2. ShannonDrawePhotography

ShannonDrawePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been trying to give my F5s away ... until now!

3. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    F5, F5, F5! You made the right choice.

This thing is bulletproof. You can look at all the details and differences between the two, read reviews but what matters is these cameras are now 2 decades old. The F5 was released in 1996, there was actually a world wide waiting list as many pros had hung on a long time for a F4 successor. The demand was through the roof! Nikon provided the F90X as the gap filler till the F5 was ready for release and it served many pros well. After release the F5 was put to work. It was used, abused and no matter what pros threw at it or put it through it just continued on without missing a beat. The F100 was released as a semi pro model after the F5. It would take the market from the F90X and was of the F5 generation technology where as the F90X was a generation of it's own coming between the F4 and F5.

What you need to ask if you are a buyer today is did these cameras withstand the test of time??? Am I buying something that will still tick for years or have I bought a second hand time bomb? F5 shutter was rated to 150k cycles, the F100 100k cycles. I know from back in the day the F100 had shutter failures, the F5...err...maybe just look!

F5 with one million shutter releases without fault: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D850) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

F5 is the best camera I've ever owned. Today I shoot my digital stuff with a D3X which most I imagine would consider a nice camera. If I had to throw out either the D3X or my remaining F5 body tomorrow I can tell you D3X is BYE BYE!

F5 is an iconic/legendary camera, it always will be. The F100 is nice but it's just another camera in Nikon's history. When you can buy today for a few hundred $$$ what so many photographers could only drool over in the 90's, crazy, go get a F5!

4. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No need for mirror lock-up on the F100. The mirror is well dampened. I tested it.

5. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Wasn't suggesting otherwise- I was just explaining the whole rationale for mirror lockup. Glad to hear that the F100 is so well dampened- since I have one! Honestly haven't ever done any long exposure shooting with it.