Nikon FG with dim LEDs in VF

malkav41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there everybody!

Not sure if this is the place for this. If not please feel free to move it to the correct place.
smiley.gif
I had this in the Collectors forum but I think it was the wrong place.

I wanted to ask if anyone that has/uses/used a Nikon FG, has had any problems with the LEDs in the viewfinder for the shutter speed scale getting dim, and hard to see in daylight?
I checked, and changed the batteries, but no change. It's the same in all Modes P,A, Manual. Indoors, not a problem seeing it. Though I do have to use my Left eye to see the scale. Weird huh?

I don't want to have to send it to the closet of No Return, where it's little brother the EM resides after it went twitchy in the shutter speed needle, and an innocent roll film perished to bad exposure.

Thanks for any replies in advance,
Edward

I have an FG (in fact I was just shooting with it yesterday), but I've never run into that problem. Maybe a bad connection somewhere. If you want to try having it repaired, I've had good results from these guys:

Camera repair and used cameras by Camerarepair.com; New York and New Jersey's premier camera repair service

You can ship it to them and they'll give you a repair estimate. If you don't think it's worth doing, they'll send it back and you're only out 20 bucks or so for shipping both ways.

Hey there everybody!

I checked, and changed the batteries, but no change. It's the same in all Modes P,A, Manual. Indoors, not a problem seeing it. Though I do have to use my Left eye to see the scale. Weird huh?

When you changed the batteries, did you clean the battery contacts?

Replacing the LEDS (if you could find someone to do it) would cost way more than replacing the whole body. You might try cleaning the exterior of the eyepiece and/or blowing out the dust inside the mirror chamber and/or cleaning the battery chamber but that's about all you can do short of major surgery.

The FG is a good little camera with nice features but it was part of Nikon's budget line and was not made to be as rugged as their more expensive models.

I've finished the film that was in the camera, removed the batteries, and, regretably, have banished the camera to the aforementioned closet. :(

It was a nice camera, but everything has to end at some point. :(

Most reactions

Back