Nikon Financials: 2nd Quarter

It's an interesting read, but I'd be interested to see how Canon, Sony, et al. performed over the same time frame. Taking mirrorless out of the equation for the moment, it seems that DSLR technology has reached somewhat of a plateau. As a result, there are fewer reasons for most folks (i.e. people without GAS :D) to upgrade from what they already have. The other "problem" is that the cameras built into cell phones are getting better and better. While this may not be affecting the DSLR market, I'd have to imagine it's affecting the p&s (Coolpix) market.

Companies used to have flat revenue with growth in certain areas. heck, the Dow Jones Avg used to be under 2,000 since it's inception in the early 1900s up until at least 1989. Alot has changed in the DOW avg core companies and their requirements since Nasdaq arrived and gave them competition, but still look at the avg now.

Then globalization incurred and companies are now required to have increasing revenue each and every quarter no matter what.

Then the market looked at same stores sales increases .. each and every quarter
Plus market expansion.

If you are not around the world then you as a CEO days are numbered.
If same stores sales aren't up, then you as a CEO days are numbered.

now Nikon has been fairly globalized even before "globalization".

Which begs the question ... after all the camera companies saturate the markets, who else is left to buy ?

And of course how that affects the revenue and thus the bottom line each quarter.

As long as a company is stable and making sales after globalization, I think they're okay as a business analyst. As an investor, it's time to oust the CEO !! Get the pitchforks.

Of course if you look at unsold inventory, and previous models to be more specific, you see a problem. But this problem has been a struggle of many Japanese manufacturers since at least the 1970s. Essentially, make xx product and sell it; or try to sell it. No basic Suply & Demand, they use a Supply model. Of course the Supply model allows them to price and build a product based on potential future sales.

Most organizations list SALES as anything out the door; the manufacturers door.
When actual sales are product sold to the consumer, then the store orders MORE from the company. Otherwise you have a stagnant distribution, thus the same store sales model now used by many companies.

Of course, this all excludes the used market, which is ever increasing via the Internet. Which, coincidentally, hurts new camera sales. Alot of companies are getting into used/refurbished electronics - Walmart being one more recently jumping in the game.

Just think of all the new camera sales lost just from members of this board buying & selling their used equipment. Think if they bought new instead ? Nikon & Canon would be breaking sales records and peoples closets would get stuffed full of unused equipment waiting for another generation to get inspiration from it all.

Essentially, each and everyone of us has to spend & consume more new product to make the investors happy.

Most reactions

Back