Nikon flash compatability

rhncue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Nikon 8008s film camera and it's dedicated flash at the time of purchase the SB24. Last Nov. I bought a Nikon D-50. It is in need of a much better flash than the lightweight that comes on the camera. I thought I might be able to use the SB-24 but upon calling a camera shop they said absolutely not and that in so doing I would burn up the circuitry in the camera. Last week I was looking at web-sites about flashes and one had a chart that showed the SB-24 was compatable with the D-50.
Has anyone on here ever tried using the SB-24 on the D-50 with any success? I would certainly like to utilize the flash if possible but I don't want to take a chance of ruining the camera iether.
Thanks,
Dick

it may work.... it just depends on how high the voltage spike is on the hot shoe, dslrs (except for the new canons claim 250) have a max of a 6v spike. this is becuase all the circutry in digi.s that were't in film cameras, the sb-600/800 has a limiter that keeps the votage at a safe level for the camera. most film era flashes have a very very high spike here, and you would never want to use it, however, some people say that their film flashes worked, but remember the spike usually changes with the output level. if you decide to try it then remember your going to have to use full manual flash exposer too, no i-tll stuff.

personally, i'd stick it safe and just get teh sb-600 ( i have a d50 too btw)

I used it without incident on my D70 for a long time. Only problem is they don't
talk, so you have to set your flash to the camera before you take the photo.

Other than that, it worked great for me.

My photos improved drastically once the SB600 was purchased though.

castrol said:
I used it without incident on my D70 for a long time. Only problem is they don't
talk, so you have to set your flash to the camera before you take the photo.

Other than that, it worked great for me.

My photos improved drastically once the SB600 was purchased
though.

I guess I will just go ahead and get the SB-600. The SB-24 is such a nice flash and I used it so seldom I was hoping to be able to get a little use out of it. Thanks for the info fellows.

Dick

I have a D50 and have been researching flashes as well. I've found the SB-24 highly recommended on a number of sites as a cost effective alternative to the SB-600 or 800 if you don't mind manual mode. All accounts I've read say it works just fine ... but I haven't tried it myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back