Nikon FM10 vs. Canon EOS Rebel T2?

carolineruth12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a film SLR, and I'm debating between the simpler Nikon FM10 (fully manual) and the Canon EOS Rebel T2 or K2 (with automatic controls).

I would like to eventually collect different types of lenses, and I'm wondering which camera would be more compatible with a wider range of lenses. The Nikon FM10 would only be compatible with manual lenses, whereas the Rebel would also be compatible with automatic lenses. If anyone has lens recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Also, if any of you have either of these cameras and recommends one over the other, please let me know. I'm relatively new to this, and I'd like to get a versatile camera that would last me a while.

I'm interested in photography for artistic purposes, so I would be using the manual controls more often. However, automatic settings might be useful for those "point-and-shoot" pictures every so often.

So, to sum it all up, here are my questions:
Manual vs. Automatic?
Nikon FM10 vs. Canon Rebel EOS T2 or K2?
What kinds of lenses would you recommend?

I would really appreciate your input. Thank you!

Manual versus Automatic?

Now thats a question only you can answer.... The rebel can also be used in manual although it is not "geared" towards that use.

I'm not a big fan of he FM10 there are better Nikon bodies out there on the used market with better build and features. It also costs basically the same as a rebel without all the features.

The Nikon FM10 is compatible with every Nikon lens with an aperture ring. That's alot, that's more than canon offerings.

Sw1tchFX... I don't see the new FM10 as "good value". Perhaps you can recommend a good ol'manual used Nikon body at a similar price?

These are wonderful days for someone looking for used film bodies... you can end up with a high end professional body for a fraction of the new price.

From Canon, I like the A-1. But I think Pentax has better offerings in used manuals since their lenses carry over completely to the newest DSLRs. I'm thinking Pentax MX.

Get the Canon. Just because it has auto features doesn't mean you can't shoot full manual (I do all the time).

Also, just because you're using it for artistic purposes, doesn't mean you're gonna use manual more than anyone else...I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything...unless you want purposely out of focus pictures.

Sw1tchFX... I don't see the new FM10 as "good value". Perhaps you can recommend a good ol'manual used Nikon body at a similar price?

These are wonderful days for someone looking for used film bodies... you can end up with a high end professional body for a fraction of the new price.

From Canon, I like the A-1. But I think Pentax has better offerings in used manuals since their lenses carry over completely to the newest DSLRs. I'm thinking Pentax MX.

Craigslist has FE's, FM's, and FA's for dirt cheap, not to mention F3's and such. they're all just as capeable as the FM10.

The FM10 is total garbage. It is a cheap knock off of a Nikon, it has the Nikon name on it but it is a HORRIBLE cheaply made camera.

It is not made by Nikon, it is made by Cosina, and it is junky plastic.

FE, FM or FA's for dirt cheap are a MUCH better option IMHO.

I've had not a single problem with my FM10 but I don't use it like a pro or anything. I would probably look at an FE2 or an FM2.

Look into an N90s (AA batteries) or even an N80. An F100 goes for around $300 used but for an extra $100 or so you could get an F5. They all have manual controls.

Why go manual if you don't need to?

For that matter, why go canon if you don't need to? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Look into an N90s (AA batteries) or even an N80. An F100 goes for around $300 used but for an extra $100 or so you could get an F5. They all have manual controls.

Why go manual if you don't need to?

For that matter, why go canon if you don't need to? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

"For that matter, why go Canon if you don't need to?"

I SECOND THIS MOTION!

Nikon, go Nikon, go Nikon. :]

Or just research the lenses you'd like to use and find out which company gives you better offerings (value, quality, or whatever).

It is not made by Nikon, it is made by Cosina, and it is junky plastic.

Isn't it strange how Cosina can make cheap plastic (FM10, Olympus OM2000, CT-1 and VSL43K) stuff AND still manage to make some high quality rangefinders (Bessa R3M, R4M for example) with of the most wonderful examples of glass in M-mount?

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

Some are doing so well that some Leica shooters are opting for Voigtlander/Cosina as a compliment for their Leica gear. For example their ultra speedy 35mm f1.2 Nokton.

I just negotiated for a used Voigtlander 28mm f1.9 Ultron at a camera swap and enjoying it just as much as anything else in my bag.

I don't agree that the Nikon FM10 is garbage, once I took pictures with this camera and sharpness compared between my Canon AE1 with Canon lens was far better tahn Canon.

Until today, no one has been listening in since 2007 - 6 years, 5 months, and 13 days.

Until today, no one has been listening in since 2007 - 6 years, 5 months, and 13 days.

Well BIG DUH!!!!. Do you really expect Newbies to actually look at the dates on posts. Jeeze, next thing you will want Newbies to use the search function before posting a question for the millionth time or to R.T.F.M. before they ask some simple "how do I do this with my camera" question. :D

Most reactions

Back