Nikon folk, I have an AF question from a friend that he can't properly articulate

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a friend into photography with a D3100. He's getting really into it, and definitely has GAS. He's been wanting to get a bit more advanced, and as I've been tutoring him he asked why I focus with a button on the back of my Canon, and he focuses with the shutter button.

I told him that I set my camera that way, and I prefer to shoot with that method, so he wanted to try it.

I got the AEL button on the back of his D3100 to work solely as the AF button, I put his camera in AF-C mode, and I set it to the center focus point. I have tried EVERYTHING, but I cannot get the camera to take a photo unless the middle focus point has a focus lock. When I half press the shutter, the AF point flashes (to confirm focus), but it WILL NOT let me take a photo unless the middle focus point is on the same focal plane as what I initially focused on and then recomposed.

This literally makes it almost impossible to focus and recompose with this method. I've searched online, and I can't find an answer to my query. I feel as if that my lack of Nikon terminology knowledge may be why I can't find an answer, but I am hoping that someone on the forum can tell me what I need to do to disable this "focus confirmation" with a half press of the shutter.

Thanks in advance!

RTFM

I have no specific knowledge on this particular model, but surely the operator's manual can enlighten him. If the option is available, then the solution can be found.

RTFM

I have no specific knowledge on this particular model, but surely the operator's manual can enlighten him. If the option is available, then the solution can be found.

Yeah, I've told him to do that. Do you have any idea what the camera might be doing? You've never run into a "focus lock required" kind of situation? Like I've said, I am not really up to snuff on Nikon terminology. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I'm just not able to find it in any of the menus.

Maybe someone will chime in with a D3100, or other entry level camera. I hope there's a setting that needs to be changed. If Nikon is dumbing their entry level cameras down to the point where you can't take a photo if it's not "in focus" according to the AF system, that's severely limiting.

I have this model and I have noticed its a ***** and figured I was just doing it wrong. When it starts F'ing with me like that I just switch to manual focus, lol. The only way I have gotten it to work on other focal points than the center one is to have it on Dynamic vs Single point, and then you have to select the point you want by moving the up, down, left, right, arrows accordingly to one of the other ten points, once it locks on one of those it will let you take the pic.

If Nikon is dumbing their entry level cameras down to the point where you can't take a photo if it's not "in focus" according to the AF system, that's severely limiting.

yes they are, which is why I swap to manual when it does that.

RTFM

Yeah, I've told him to do that. Do you have any idea what the camera might be doing? You've never run into a "focus lock required" kind of situation? Like I've said, I am not really up to snuff on Nikon terminology. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I'm just not able to find it in any of the menus.

Maybe someone will chime in with a D3100, or other entry level camera. I hope there's a setting that needs to be changed. If Nikon is dumbing their entry level cameras down to the point where you can't take a photo if it's not "in focus" according to the AF system, that's severely limiting.

Don't know that model.. but the Nikon terminology in the menu is usually Release Mode or Focus mode... usually AF-S is set to Focus Mode (Must have Focus to shoot) by default, and AF-C is set to Release Mode (will shoot even if out of focus)

Focus Lock

Focus lock can be used to change the composition after focusing in AF-A, AF-S, and
AF-C focus modes (055), making it possible to focus on a subject that will not be in
a focus point in the final composition. If the camera is unable to focus using
autofocus (056), you can also focus on another subject at the same distance and
then use focus lock to recompose the photograph. Focus lock is most effective when
an option other than e (Auto-area AF) is selected for AF-area mode (058).

1 Focus.
Position the subject in the selected focus point
and press the shutter-release button halfway to
initiate focus. Check that the in-focus indicator
(I) appears in the viewfinder.

2 Lock focus.
AF-A and AF-C focus modes: With the shutter-release
button pressed halfway (q), press the AE-L/AF-L
button (w) to lock both focus and exposure (an
AE-L icon will be displayed in the viewfinder;
080). Focus will remain locked while the AE-L/AFL
button is pressed, even if you later remove your
finger from the shutter-release button.

AF-S focus mode: Focus will lock automatically when the in-focus indicator
appears, and remain locked until you remove your finger from the shutterrelease
button. Focus can also be locked by pressing the AE-L/AF-L button (see
above).

3 Recompose the photograph and shoot.
Focus will remain locked between shots if you
keep the shutter-release button pressed halfway
(AF-S) or keep the AE-L/AF-L button pressed,
allowing several photographs in succession to
be taken at the same focus setting.
Do not change the distance between the camera and the subject

The AE-L/AF-L Button
The Buttons > AE-L/AF-L button option in the setup menu (0146) controls the behavior of
the AE-L/AF-L button.

where you can't take a photo if it's not "in focus" according to the AF system, that's severely limiting.

AF-C
Continuousservo AF

For moving subjects. Camera focuses continuously while shutterrelease
button is pressed halfway. Shutter can only be released if
camera is able to focus.

Wow, I know they strip many features out of the entry level cameras, but this almost seems too stripped! You would think that at least AF-C would give you the option of focus or release! If you are looking to focus and recompose, you should be better off in AF-S. Lock your target (beep) and hold the newly assigned af-on button. Recompose and then you should be able to release the shutter. AF-C will just continuously hunt...

Last edited:
yeah I was playing with mine while making my posts....and you can hear it physically "hunt" lol....it was going nutso

Most reactions

New Topics

Back