Nikon go Mirrorless, pt 2 (Thom Hogan)

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Solarflare, Jan 5, 2017.

1. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Nikon 1 S2 recently "disappeared from the shelves". From what I understand, if you use a cheap lens adapter, with no coupling, it does not support auto shutter speed. But the "Nikon 1 NIKKOR FT-1 F-Mount Adapter" is not-a-cheap-adapter. I know it gives a lot of lens couplings for V1 and J1 cameras, but what happens with the S2? Does it at least support auto shutter speed, at least with some lenses?

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Now that I am in my second week as a Fujifilm shooter I have to say Nikon is probably doing the wrong thing. I can buy lenses for the Fuji system from 12mm to 400mm from Fuji and lenses from several third party manufacturers such as Zeiss. The lenses are better than the comparable Nikkors but they aren't cheap and a whole line of prime lenses is available. Nikon has only a couple of primes for the DX system.

The Fuji image quality is amazing. The cameras and the lenses are made from magnesium and aluminum instead of plastic. They are much smaller and lighter than their Nikon counterparts. After 1/2 a century with Nikon, I can tell you they need to do mirrorless like there is no tomorrow. They are clinging to obsolete technology. They need to be looking over Fujifilm's shoulder.

3. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yup, Fujifilm kinda kicked Nikon and Canons butt last year and so far this year. I think Fujifilm's approach to the market is wise. They don't seem to rush into the market as everything is well thought out and the quality is high. Attention to details is well noticed on my end. I think Nikon hit a home run with the D500 and I can see a full frame version of it coming next month. As far as mirrorless? I wonder if their even interested. Pentax is pretty much done unless someone snaps them up. I am waiting for the 80mm macro f/2 1:1 and the 8-16 f2.8 from Fujifilm.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Just an FYI to all, the "cheap" AF-P VR lenses work brilliantly on the Nikon 1 system (at least on the V2 I have tried them on) with the FT1 adapter... native focus speed (albeit center focus spot only) and the VR works like a charm.