Nikon...GRRRRR!

[/quote]You don't seem to know, none of Canon's camera bodies have a focus motor in them and haven't since Canon introduced the EF-mount in 1987. Every Canon lens has a you-have-to-pay-extra-for-it focus motor in it, if the lens can auto focus.

But, the camera makers know that the more the camera can do on it's own, so the human can mindlessly just click the shutter, the more cameras and lenses they can sell.[/QUOTE]

OK, NO I didn't know Canons have no focus motor in them which is contrary to what I thought I read here or knew, and that was my main reason for thinking about a change. BUT, Canon was only wanted for their higher MP's and NOT because I want to be a lazy photographer and depend on the camera to do all my work for me. I figured the higher MP's would allow me to crop with better end results, and I know I'd be able to print to bigger sizes with clarity. I'm definitely interested in being a working, knowledgeable, respected photographer and I figured having a camera which created better end results could help that. Yes, my cameras are older and lower resolution but they produce excellent photos at sizes reasonably normal to the average person. Not everyone is a photographer, not everyone sees a photo and thinks of how it could be better like I do, etc. etc. I've decided to utilize the equipment I currently own to its extent, and only when it becomes obsolete will I buy new. The majority of photos I've done for others have been favorably thought of, though I will always look to improve. It's just a nasty little habit of mine to strive for perfection in everything I do...Sometimes, it even bothers ME that I stress to be better when it usually is better than most that I know could do it. lol I will begin saving and looking for a Nikon D90 asap, as I know that is what I'm looking for in a camera. It's just outta my price range right now with having 2 baby boys. Thanks for any help or criticism guys, I've got it straight now! lol

According to your website, you are a wedding, portrait photographer. How big do you need to be able to print?

Worry about a new camera when your business requires it.

According to your website, you are a wedding, portrait photographer. How big do you need to be able to print?

Worry about a new camera when your business requires it.

Bitter sir, I cancelled my website a couple weeks ago. I'm locked in for a little while longer so I've tried going to it and changing it a little but have been unable to even get to it. I keep getting to some page that says my domain has been just registered? Could you please tell me how you got to see that?

I have mainly tried focusing on portraits for a while now since weddings weren't calling for my services very often. I'm ok with it since I don't really like doing them alone, but as long as they are aware of my position I'll do it for them to save them some money.

I'd like to be able to print 11x14 clearly, and I'm sure I remember 10x13 not being as sharp as I'd prefer them to be. I know a Nikon D90 will suffice for me for a long time so I'm going to try getting one. Thanks for the reply sir, Jeff Duke

You don't seem to know, none of Canon's camera bodies have a focus motor in them and haven't since Canon introduced the EF-mount in 1987. Every Canon lens has a you-have-to-pay-extra-for-it focus motor in it, if the lens can auto focus.

But, the camera makers know that the more the camera can do on it's own, so the human can mindlessly just click the shutter, the more cameras and lenses they can sell.

OK, NO I didn't know Canons have no focus motor in them which is contrary to what I thought I read here or knew, and that was my main reason for thinking about a change.
It's actually kind of odd to think of it that way; at least for me. I always saw it as that I never have to worry if a lens will meter or autofocus because every EF lens will meter and autofocus on every EOS body. There's no ifs and maybes, like Nikon and its body-based focus motors. But then again, I began on Canon and only 5 or so years ago, so I have that viewpoint.

And its ironic to call it "you-have-to-pay-extra-for-it focus motor" when on average Canon lenses are cheaper than Nikkors. :confused: I guess if one is referring to super cheap older lenses that won't AF or meter anyway, you could always pop those on a Canon body with a simple adapter and call it a day. :thumbup:

Anyway, I always hear good things about the D90, but I would personally splurge for the D7000 if possible. Really great camera that does a lot of things for a very reasonable price.

Yep the D90 is a major upgrade from a D40. I see this all the time. People get a entry level cam and slower variable kit lenses. And start to think the grass is greener on the other side. Nope just means you didn't spend enough starting out. I ran into limitations within 6-9 month's. And opted for a much more usable used D90.

Now can say I have a functioning camera that can get the job done for now. And the first upgrades I made back in the D40 days was glass! Glass should be a first priority especially for paid work. I replaced my 18-55 kit lens with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and usability in lower light & indoors and Image IQ took a giant leap up.

You may want to rethink your priorities after you get the D90 and then concentrate on better glass.
As it appears you didn't give it much priority during your D40 stint.

It will do as much if not more in getting the shot. Usability in more situations and Image IQ will make the image stand above what the kit lenses can deliver.

[
I'd like to be able to print 11x14 clearly, and I'm sure I remember 10x13 not being as sharp as I'd prefer them to be. I know a Nikon D90 will suffice for me for a long time so I'm going to try getting one.

Note my equipment in my sig. I printed a few 11x14 photos from a recent wedding that came out beautifully. I admit I know nothing about your Nikon gear, though.

Like others have said, all canon bodies are motor-less.

AF-S lenses are not much more expensive due to the motor, look how cheap the kit-level AF-S lenses are!

The main difference is that there isn't as wide of selection of AF-S lenses, as there is with canon. Nikon introduced AF-S in it's expensive pro lenses first, and then migrated it down to consumer level lenses only in the last few years.

I for one am extremely happy that nikon figured out a way to introduce autofocus without redesigning their mount, half of my lenses predate autofocus.

Don't buy the Baby Nikons...buy the grown-up models if you want to be able to use the screw-driven lenses...it's simple... the Baby Nikons are for beginners.

Don't buy the Baby Nikons...buy the grown-up models if you want to be able to use the screw-driven lenses...it's simple... the Baby Nikons are for beginners.

+1

Most reactions

Back