Nikon help!!

That 50mm af-d lens won't autofocus on a D5300 as neither the D5300 nor the af-d has a built-in af motor. You need af-s lenses.

The 35 is nice, but if doing a single person headshot the distance between you and subject can cause distortion assuming you want to fill the frame. 50mm is better for that. 35 is better for group shots and tight spaces. For 400 you could prob have both

Thank you everyone for your replies. I should have been more descriptive I am sorry of a qualified photographer. I have had my fair share of cameras nikon d3100, d3200, canon d60 and I'm back to nikon. I am looking about going into portraits mainly babies and teenagers. I know the basic functions of a camera :). The zoom isnt as important as the prime lens though. Also I am only buying the body of the nikon d5300 because I already have some lenses. I need help finding the best prime lens or lenses. Thank you for all your help.

-Jacob

Well for portraits you really can't go wrong with the 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G.
Another vote for the Nikon 50mm 1.8G, excellent value for such an amazing lens.
Super sharp, good for portrait, low light situation and general use.

suggestion to get a 60 mm macro lens, that would be an excellent portrait lens and would offer you something more, you already have lenses that cover 35 or 50 mm range. This would add to your options. it stops at F2.8 though.

I dont have any portrait lenses. I have an 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 55-140mm. :)

-Jacob

The "smiley-face" means what; that you're just kidding, right? You have a range of from 18mm (I probably wouldn't use that focal length for serious portraiture) all the way to 200mm. So if not those, then what in your mind is a "portrait lens"?

Jacob wrote: "I should have been more descriptive I am sorry of a qualified photographer." (sic)

Look at the 35, 50, or 85 1.8g lenses. Pick the focal length you want. That is all.

Also, why have you gone through so many camera bodies? The d3200 and d5300 are like the same thing in practice.

I just want to step up at what im good at. I appreciate all the comments and everyone trying to help me. I will probaly get the 50mm prime lens. Btw I do the smiley faces because im being friendly not joking :). Thanks for all your help

-Jacob

I just want to step up at what im good at. I appreciate all the comments and everyone trying to help me. I will probaly get the 50mm prime lens. Btw I do the smiley faces because im being friendly not joking :). Thanks for all your help

-Jacob

If you want to step things up, maybe take a look at a more professional body. The D5300's viewfinder is absolute garbage. It's something like 43% magnification, which is just so hard to manage. It gets the job done, but if you've already had the D3200 and you think you're stepping up, then you'll be sorely disappointed (unless if you really like 60fps video, or really really want a tilting screen).

Do you still have that D3200? What DSLR bodies do you currently have still?

You're 15, so it's kind-of hard to say you'll go wrong with any one purchase. At 18 I got a 7.1 megapixel point and shoot and it was terrible, and it took until I was 23 to get my first DSLR. Nevertheless, you've been at photography enough to have experienced multiple camera bodies, and you've got three lenses... maybe reconsider how you're spending your cash. The D5300 isn't a bad choice at all, the only reason I'm voicing some counter-points is because you had a D3200.

Most reactions

Back