Nikon launches two new lenses - 18-300mm VR and 24-85mm VR

Interesting, VR on a 24-85mm FX zoom.

I guess with the 36 Megapixel sensor of the D800, having VR even for these focal length turns obligatory.

Wow, alot of people will buy the 18-300 as it is a lens with everything! You can take wide labdscapes and a zoom shot all working 3 seconds! I'm looking to but this...

Wow, alot of people will buy the 18-300 as it is a lens with everything! You can take wide labdscapes and a zoom shot all working 3 seconds! I'm looking to but this...

and mediocre image quality (probably) at all focal lengths.

Guessing the 24-85mm will be the kit lens for when the D600 comes out.

Who knows Nikon might have poured ca$h into R&D to make this lens good.
The laws of physics and relatively modest price-point argue against that.

Yep, this just seems like a 'buy this for your vacations and you don't ever have to worry about changing lenses!' type of lens. Which there is nothing wrong with, but if you think Nikon is going to blow us away with an 18-300mm lens for under $1K, well, lol.

The superzoom lenses are quite popular and are good sellers, because for many people the convenience of a single lens far outweighs the image quality issues all superzoom lenes have.

Ahh, that's nice. Thanks!

high price for 18-300 suggests it will be the best all-in-one lens out right now

Guessing the 24-85mm will be the kit lens for when the D600 comes out.

Yup. I'm not excited about the lens, but I am about the body.

high price for 18-300 suggests it will be the best all-in-one lens out right now

For DX. The 28-300 samples look pretty good as well. Personally, I'd get that one first... but then again I chose smaller range to get better IQ for my travel lens.

NikonUSA.com Tech Specs. Looking at the link the two things it is missing is the nano and gold ring.

The entrance glass looks big in the picture, so I'm surprised that they can't do any better than f3.5. Nevertheless, Nikon will sell a lot of these two new lenses, IMO.

Most reactions

Back