Nikon Lens Extenders

three_eyed_otter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into the Nikon lens extenders to grab some more mm's out of my current lenses. :p

I read a few reviews about the Kenko-Nikon extenders flexing so I've ruled them out and will just stick w/the Nikon extenders. If I get an extender will I lose my AF capabilities?

have a good one
3Eo

Are you talking about teleconverters or extension tubes?

The use of teleconverters depends entirely on the lens they'll be bolted to. A 70-200 f/2.8 with a teleconverter will work reasonably well because a) it's sharp to begin with and b) the wide aperture will only drop to around f/5.6 so it will still be usable.

Beyond 5.6 or so you start to loose your AF ability. So take say a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 and use the teleconverter and you can pretty much give up on AF It may still work but probably won't be very accurate. Also remember since you're effectively copping the centre of the lens glass you lose quite a bit of quality. A sharp lens to begin with may still be acceptable with a teleconverter. A bearly acceptable lens can become useless.

Hey Garbz,

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the extension tubes but it turns out I will lose AF capabilities. I think I'll still get the extension tube to use with my 105 macro lens.

have a good one
3Eo

There are extension tubes with auto-focus on the market for Nikon. It isn't really necessary if you are using a tripod. If you are hand holding you could try a push-pull zoom for the final focusing- it works rather well.

I've got both the Nikon and Kenko tubes. Unless you are putting a HUGE lense on them the Kenko extension tubes work just fine.

Most reactions

Back