Nikon Lens Recommendations?

The best normal zoom I've used on my D7000 is my Nikon DX 16-85 3.5-5.6 and the reason is Balance. It isn't a super lens by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't SUCK and any aperture/focal length combination either like other normal zooms I've owned.

The 16-85 is a very dated lens that can't take advantage of a modern sensor's pixel density.

I owned one. It was built nicely at least. But it's overpriced massively. Worth maybe $300, sells for $700.
You and I have obviously had different experiences with this lens. I only paid $499.00 for mine and that was retail at my local camera shop. DxoMark rates the 16-85 at 19 which is the same rating it gives the 18-140 which is the go to kit lens for the D7200. Looks like the 16-80 f2.8-f4.0 might be the new king of the DX normal zooms though but, DxoMark has not tested it yet.

Last edited:
Purple fringing and soft focus when used wide open.
Mine is descent from about f2.5 on but, f1.8? forget it. Anybody tried the super cheap Yongnuo 35mm f2 around $90?

I use the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm F1.8G and its actually one of my most favorite prime wide angle lens, even though it's been around for awhile already. Shoots pretty darn fast and great even on low-light condition. I've never tried the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 as I've had bad experience with third party lenses. haha.

Most reactions

Back