Nikon lense help

Many Hats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a Canon person now working in a Nikon studio. I know Canon L series lenses are the bomb. Can someone please tell me the Nikon equivilent? Or what to look for code wise in Tamron or Sigma? Looking for a good portrait lense and another one for taking great group (reunion-sports teams) shots. I'm very new at this but not always thrilled with the image quality and boss said I could look into better glass. Oh, shooting with a Nikon D2DXs and kit lens. (seems a shame on such a nice camera body)
Thanks!

Since the D2x was only ever sold as 'Body only' (AFAIK), what lens were you using? With respect to your original question, the Nikon equivalent of 'L' is the gold-ring on the barrel such as carried on the 24-70f2.8 or the 17-55f2.8DX.

Caveat emptor. The gold ring just like that L does not mean the lens is sharp. Both companies have several awesome kit lenses that outperform some of their poorly thoughtout pro lenses in terms of sharpness (definitely not in terms of build quality and versatility though). If image quality is the key over features like large apertures or internal focusing then it pays to shop around the cheaper market too.

Umm.... not sold body only on ebay. We were very niave and bought what turned out to be a gray market camera, 3 lenses, case, tripod, yadda yadda yadda. Got hard sell when called to confirm purchace. "Why did you only purchase the manual focus lenses?" HUH? Nother $300 for auto focus. (Yes, we were idiots) Unfortunatly, can't tell you the lense(s) we have now as I'm at home and had no internet at work today (gotta love crappy service) to check this thread. It is a Tamron lense, but obviousally not top of the line. trying to find out the codes for Nikon lenses. IS is image stabilization for canon...what is it for Nikkor...Tamron, etc? Just trying to figure out the codes.
Thanks

OK Garbz...what lenses would you recommend for my applications? Portrait and sports teams? Give me cheap ones first on up to what we can't possibly afford. I live nowhere near a camera shop where I can check these things out. If Wal Mart carried good photo gear, I'd be in great shape. Otherwise, long drive to Albuquerque where I don't know if even they have a decent camera shop.

Umm.... not sold body only on ebay. We were very niave and bought what turned out to be a gray market camera, 3 lenses, case, tripod, yadda yadda yadda. Got hard sell when called to confirm purchace. "Why did you only purchase the manual focus lenses?" HUH? Nother $300 for auto focus. (Yes, we were idiots) Unfortunatly, can't tell you the lense(s) we have now as I'm at home and had no internet at work today (gotta love crappy service) to check this thread. It is a Tamron lense, but obviousally not top of the line. trying to find out the codes for Nikon lenses. IS is image stabilization for canon...what is it for Nikkor...Tamron, etc? Just trying to figure out the codes.
Thanks

Ow! You got hosed. Still, make the best of a bad situation. Nikon's term is "VR" (Vibration Reduction). I'll give you my suggestions for lenses: General, everyday shooting? Nikkor 24-70 f2.8; outstanding lens all the way around. Portrait work? Nikkor 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f2 defocusing lens. Sports? The 80-200mm f2.8 and (if the budget stretches) the 200-400mm f4.

Sorry so long to reply...stuff...to much...you know. Thanks so much for the help. The VR code was what I was looking for!

If price is an issue then look at an 18-70mm. Works very well especially stopped down- which should be no problem in a studio. I have a Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 that I'm quite fond of and I hear nice things about the Tamron in this range as well.

If you are going to shoot sports for money then I wouldn't go with anything else but Nikon f/2.8s due to the construction issues. Vr is nice I suppose but people got along very well for decades without it so again, if price is an issue don't sweat it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back