Nikon Lenses for Wedding Photography

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by floridafan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. floridafan

floridafan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I purchased a Nikon 135 f/2 and she loves it but it was not exactly what she was expecting. She was looking for a lens that could capture a bride in her gown, not just a head shot.

What would be a great lens to accomplish this shot?

Thank you!!!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well...one part of the answer depends on how far away the camera is, and whether the camera is a DX-sensor model, or an FX-size sensor camera. With an 85mm lens, a FULL-length shot of a bride in her gown can be shot from 35 feet away with a DX-sensor camera, or from 20 feet away with and FX-sensor camera. Same exact 85mm lens, two different capture format sizes, two different camera-to-subject distances, and two different camera capture formats, but>>> the SAME PICTURE AREA HEIGHT, of 8.47 feet, enough for the bride to stand there, and enough extra picture height for some foot space, and some head space.

Now...if the photographer needs to do a full-lngth shot in a small hotel room, or a church dressing room, on a DX-sensor camera and at close camera to subject distance, a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens would be nice; on an FX-format camera, a 24-70mm zoom would be handy; on either camera format, where there is some room, a 70-200mm lens would be a nice zoom lens to have.

3. floridafan

floridafan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The camera is an FX. Definitely want to go full frame. I have an older 80-200 and 35-70.

I don't know if there is a really good lens that would be the go to lens for the Bride and Groom full shot. I am just trying to equip my wife with good dear. She has an excellent eye for the shot.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've shot a lot of full body with the 135mm to 200mm focal lengths. You just start to get a bit far away from the subject.

I have an App on my phone that is a field of view calculator (made for cinema, but has data for digital cameras). You can input what you have and solve for what you want to find. So you could put in the field of view you want and focal length and it will tell you the distance away you need to be. Or, if you are in a small studio and have a fixed distance from the subject it can solve for the focal length you need to use.

5. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The standard kit is the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8.
    The zooms allows for different camera to subject distances at different venues.
    Shooting inside a hotel room, limo and group shots, call for the 24-70 vs. across a hotel pond or the tight head shots which calls for the 70-200.
    The pro glass gives you the image quality.

Since you have the 80-200, then the lens for her is the 24-70/2.8 or the wider range 24-120/4. IQ is better on the 24-70/2.8.
    Warning, the 24-70/2.8 is an expensive lens (for me).

6. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have shot several weddings with my D750 FX and a 24-120 f/4. However, when shooting groups and full length shots of the bride, I never go shorter than 35mm to avoid wide angle distortion. Is the 35-70 one of the old solid metal f/2.8 tanks? If so and it is in good shape, the combine of the 35-70 and 80-200 should serve her well.

7. Trever1t

Trever1t Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As said, standard equip is 24-70 and 70-200.

Wedding shooters will have a minimum of two bodies. I’ve shot my share and either I’ve got both going or I have an associate working the other focal range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree with Trever
    If she does not have a 2nd body, get her one.
    Besides backup, so she does not have to hassle changes lenses.
    Alternatively, YOU can be the 2nd camera and shoot with the 2nd camera and lens.
    The photographer team for my nephew's wedding; the wife had the 24-70, the husband had the 70-200. So they could should both wide and close shots at the same time. And if necessary, could split locations.

9. floridafan

floridafan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that 24-70 is pricy for sure!

10. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YUP.
    The non VR version is cheaper, but then, you/she has to think, "will I ever need the VR?"
    I can see needing it indoors without flash, like for the bride's getting ready shots.
    Your wife should be able to tell you, based on what she has shot before.
    Personally, for a business, I would get the VR version, cuz she may need VR for that one shot of the bride.

For personal hobby, it becomes a much harder call to make, as I don't make money with my gear, so it becomes harder to justify the more expensive gear.

11. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I just shot a wedding using the 35mm 1.4g, 58mm 1.4g, and 105mm 1.4e. I only switched to the 24-70 during the reception to get slightly wider on the dance floor in such a tight setting.

I was thoroughly impressed with the 35mm, which I borrowed from a coworker -- renders very well and can still focus very close. I'm considering buying it off him.

The 105mm is awesome, but it was hard to incorporate it as much as I'd have liked. It shone well on the portraits, but was less useful during the rest of the day. I was using it as my long lens, but probably would have been happier with the 70-200 mounted (which I let my second shooter use) or saving the rental cost and just using my 85mm 1.8g.