Nikon Mirrorless ETA?

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Looks like something new is in the wings. At least this teaser is slightly less corny than the return of "real photography" promised in the endless spots leading up to the Df launch. Still, there's something stale about this newest ad.

Nikon | Special Event 2018

Nikon have a lot of catching up to do.............

I'm interested to see what they'll have. I agree; it does seem like stale marketing. I'm assuming it'll be competition for Sony. Wondering how it'll impact sales for all brands, including Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji.

Based on their video and the outline of the camera, it looked similar to the Panasonic G9.

It will have to be amazing to beat the G9.........

I wonder if they'll include an adapter for their F-mount? It'll be interesting to see what they have planned. When are they officially releasing the info? Do we know? I thought I saw somewhere that it'd be in late August?

Nikon will have a long way to go just to catch up with others now.

giphy.gif

I wonder if they'll include an adapter for their F-mount? It'll be interesting to see what they have planned. When are they officially releasing the info? Do we know? I thought I saw somewhere that it'd be in late August?

Won’t need one, f mount will fit.

Won’t need one, f mount will fit.
Where did you hear that? That's not what Nikon says--new mount. They are going to have a lot of catching up, since they need to develop a new set of lenses. Of course, you can buy the adapter...

Nikon Announces Development of Next Generation Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and NIKKOR Lenses—Featuring a New Mount—That Pursue a New Dimension in Optical Performance

July 25, 2018
Nikon Announces Development of Next Generation Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and NIKKOR Lenses—Featuring a New Mount—That Pursue a New Dimension in Optical Performance
MELVILLE, NY – Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the development of a next-generation full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses featuring a new mount.

The new mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development will enable a new dimension in optical performance with the adoption of a new mount. The system is the result of Nikon’s unsurpassed optical and manufacturing capabilities gained through more than a century of imaging expertise. Proven reliability and trusted performance are core traits of Nikon Digital-SLRs, and decades of feedback from professional creators around the world has further contributed to the development of this system.

Through the development of this new mirrorless camera, Nikon reaffirms our commitment to providing photographers with the ability to capture images that are richer and more vivid than ever before.

Additionally, an F-Mount adapter is being developed that will enable the use of a wide variety of F-Mount NIKKOR lenses with the new camera.

Nikon will continue to lead imaging innovation with the launch of the new mirrorless camera and the continued development of Nikon Digital-SLR cameras as well as the impressive NIKKOR lens lineup. Soon, Nikon users will have two industry-leading camera systems to choose from, giving consumers the choice to enjoy the unique values that each system offers.

Content relating to this product is available for viewing at the following URL: Breaking News. Please stay tuned for more information.

Details, including the release date and suggested retail prices, will be shared at a later date.

Not much real,verified information, but some interesting speculation/extrapolation from the Nikon videos, such as the possibility that the lens mount diameter is very large;so large that,some say, that a digital "medium format" sized sensor might be a possibility for future cameras using this mount. Also, a couple of very fast lenses have been patented, such as a 50mm-ish f/0.95 and a 36mm f/1.2 if I recall correctly. The medium format digital ought to be called mezzo-format, since it's not as large as medium format film, but is larger than FX format. Since Pentax,Fuji, and Hasselblad already have mezzo-format digitals on the market, it might make sense for Nikon to keep that option open as a future possibility.

The new lens mount for this Nikon mirrorless...I dunno...let's see how well the adapter works on F-mount lenses, and what models of lenses it supports or does not support. I can see the desire to launch an all-new lens mount, but I think it's lamentable that the F-mount will not work unmodified and as "native" on their next generation of mirrorless cameras.

This ought to be interesting, to see how much Nikon learned from its dabbling in mirrorless with the 1-inch sensor Nikon 1 model line a few years back. Will Nikon's upcoming FX mirrorless offering(s) be well-executed, or an accidental bullet to the corporate foot? I want to say the former, but the latter outcome would not be all that surprising.

I just don't get all this hype about mirrorless. What's the big deal? I personally don't want a smaller camera body on my 500 f4. I also don't want a split second delay in the viewfinder while I'm tracking an Osprey dive and I certainly don't want a short battery life. Maybe it's just how and what I shoot, but I'm not buying into this mirrorless craze..

The new lens mount for this Nikon mirrorless...I dunno...let's see how well the adapter works on F-mount lenses, and what models of lenses it supports or does not support. I can see the desire to launch an all-new lens mount, but I think it's lamentable that the F-mount will not work unmodified and as "native" on their next generation of mirrorless cameras.
I have a funny feeling that only "E" lenses will work with this adapter. I certainly don't see them building an aperture lever into this new system that would have to somehow work through an adapter... Just a guess though

I have a funny feeling that only "E" lenses will work with this adapter. I certainly don't see them building an aperture lever into this new system that would have to somehow work through an adapter... Just a guess though

Quote from Nikon
Additionally, a new mount adapter is being developed for the new mirrorless camera. This will work with the NIKKOR F mount lenses that are part of the Nikon digital SLR system,​
The phrase "digital SLR system" makes me think the adapter is for the electronic AF-S lenses, not the mechanical AF/AF-D lenses.
This may also imply electronic apertures. HOWEVER, there are too many current model high end lens with aperture levers. What I do not know is, if those lenses NEED the aperture lever to function, or if the lever is for backwards compatibility and does not need to be used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back