nikon models??

PeterParker86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I am in the market looking for a dslr camera. Before all I used are point and shoot cameras. But now I want to try a step up. So far I have narrowed the camera down between the d5100 or the d90. I am trying to find a camera that will help me focus because my hands tend to get shakey when I take pictures. I know there are tripods.. With the point and shoot I hate it when you try to auto focus and the red box comes up. I really like the feature when you push the shoot button down half way it helps you focus. Sony cameras have been great with auto focus but the focus system feels weird on the sony. I can use any recommendations and suggestions from you guys. thanks

I was exactly in your situation 1 year ago. i got the D5100 with the 35mm 1.8G lens, instead of going for the kit lens 18-55, because i shoot a lot of low light and natural light situation with no flash, and the prime lens forces me to be more creative. i would always suggest for folks to get the kit as well as the 35mm prime. if you have the money.

The autofocus of a DSLR is light years from a P&S, in normal light and even in most cases of low light you'll have no problems with focusing. for a start you really can't go wrong with a D5100. with it you get the most bang for your buck out of any DSLR that came out this year with all brands (within that price range of course), not only in the Nikon line, i made crazy research before buying, apart from maybe the D3200 that came out just now. try both if you can, but i love The D5100.

I began my own quest by considering the D90, and then chose the D5000. Nearly the same features for a lower price. I got two kit lenses in my deal (Best Buy on line), the 18-55mm, and the 55-200mm. Not "fast" lenses, but both have VR, which helps with an unsteady hold.

I think you'll be very happy with the D5100. You can upgrade lenses as you progress in the hobby.

Both the D5100 and D90, as well as most modern DSLR's, have image stabilization of one form or another. Any of Nikon's current models do have VR (Vibration Reduction) as long as VR lenses are used since it's built into the lenses.

The D5100 does not have a built-in autofocus motor so it limits your choice of lenses that it can autofocus with. The D90 does have a built-in autofocus motor so the selection of autofocus lenses is larger.

Either one would be an excellent choice.

Both the D5100 and D90, as well as most modern DSLR's, have image stabilization of one form or another. Any of Nikon's current models do have VR (Vibration Reduction) as long as VR lenses are used since it's built into the lenses.

The D5100 does not have a built-in autofocus motor so it limits your choice of lenses that it can autofocus with. The D90 does have a built-in autofocus motor so the selection of autofocus lenses is larger.

Either one would be an excellent choice.

Neither nikon or canon dslr has image stabilization. Both of these companies include IS as part of their lens designs. There are arguments that lens stabilization is better then sensor, but the fact is that it was put in the lens because the nikon and canon systems predate digital and stabilizing a roll of film was not possible.

Personally I'd rather have in-body stabilization, and suspect that nikon and canon just prefer to resell you the same tech over and over again in each of your lenses.

Neither nikon or canon dslr has image stabilization. Both of these companies include IS as part of their lens designs. There are arguments that lens stabilization is better then sensor, but the fact is that it was put in the lens because the nikon and canon systems predate digital and stabilizing a roll of film was not possible.
As I said ....

When I first got into photography a veteran told me, nothing beats a nikon.

I have a d5100 with a 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens. I am very happy with it.

The main differences between D90 and D5100 are:

1) The D90 has an additional, small LCD display on top of the body that shows AF-mode, exposure metering mode, aperture, time, ISO, etc...
2) The D90 has more control dials and buttons that are designed to let you do a lot of adjustments without digging into the menus
3) The D90 has an internal motor for AF and AF-D lenses

4) The D5100 has a better sensor

I would recommend the D90. It makes it easier to "play" with your camera, experiment different settings and learn quickly about photography. Also, if at some point in the future you upgrade to a pro camera, if you have used the D90 the learning required to handle a pro body will be relatively minor, while if you have used the D5100 you'll need to get familiar with a completely new set of commands and switches. Also, if you have the D90 you get access to a wider range of lenses that are not AF-S. Older lenses perform really well and are often cheaper than their AF-S updates.

The advantage of the D5100 is 30% more megapixels and a slightly better performance at high ISO.

Enjoy your new camera, whatever it is!

I have both a D5100 and a D90, I prefer the D90 due to its internal focus motor and quicker access to control settings with the extra dial and buttons. The D5100 does have a better sensor than the D90 but is limited in its lens selection and controls compared to the D90.

If you don't plan on using older screw type AF lenses and don't mind a few extra dials and buttosn get the D5100 and save yourself some money. If you plan on getting pretty serious about it and getting some nice older glass, because well some really nice glass is nothing but the older screw type AF, then get a D90 or better yet, save a bit more and get the D7000, I don't think its THAT much more than a D90 at this point

Most reactions

Back