Nikon-mount Telephotos

gckless

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are your favorites for sports?

Specifically I think I'm looking for a zoom. I'll be shooting racing, Formula 1 and other pro events. I shoot DX (D7000), and have the kit 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 as my only longer lens right now. I will be on the inner track ring, same place as the pro photogs shooting the event, so very close at spots on the track. Given this, I think I'm looking for maybe 80-120mm on the lower end (though I will entertain 150-200mm if it's a great lens) and minimum of 300mm on the extended range. Quick focusing is the thing I'm most looking for, and a fast lens is a plus, but not required since I'll be shooting mostly during the day. I will be panning, and I'm not very good at it lol, so good VR is helpful.

Cost really isn't an issue here, I will be renting for the event. Under $2500 or so would be nice though, I don't need to spend a ton of money, as I'm simply a hobbyist.

You're going to rent with a renting budget of at or under $2500 ?
or are you buying with a budget of under $2500 or, since it's not an issue, the sky's the limit?

What are the pro photogs using at the tracks ?
Fast lenses provide other things such as subject isolation.

Are you doing this for Austin F1?

You're going to rent with a renting budget of at or under $2500 ?
or are you buying with a budget of under $2500 or, since it's not an issue, the sky's the limit?

What are the pro photogs using at the tracks ?
Fast lenses provide other things such as subject isolation.

Are you doing this for Austin F1?

Sorry, I meant new price of $2500.

I'm not positive what they're using unfortunately. I wasn't able to catch anyone between events, and I didn't want to interrupt them during a hot track.

Yes, I'll be shooting during the grand prix at COTA. Should also be corner marshaling.

Well if I were you I'd get a Sigma 150-600 C or a tamron 150-600mm and also something like a used d5200. I'd put the 18-105 on one camera and the 150-600 on the other

the Nikon 85mm 1.8G is my favorite telephoto.
the 24-70mm is my favorite zoom right now.

the 70-300mm VR is probably a good lens for you for what your needs are.

Seems like an easy choice to me: Nikon 80-400. Sounds like you might get good use from the 80mm end, so I think it would be better than a 150-600.

However, I'd also try to talk to the more experienced photographers there, mostly to understand if you need fast lenses.

By the way, VR can even ruin a panning shot when used incorrectly. It may try to correct for your panning, so when you get the lens, look around for different modes of the image stabilization system, to see if there's one that's specifically useful for panning (i.e. shutting off stabilization for horizontal movements).

Well if I were you I'd get a Sigma 150-600 C or a tamron 150-600mm and also something like a used d5200. I'd put the 18-105 on one camera and the 150-600 on the other

I struggled to pan with the 150-600 compared to any other lens i've ever used to shoot motorsports.

I'm thinking Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1 or VR2

That will give you approximately 300mm view on the high end on crop frame.

I struggled to pan with the 150-600 compared to any other lens i've ever used to shoot motorsports.

I wonder is that just the Tamron and the way the vc works, or is it just the physical size of the lenses this range

I agree the 80-400mm VR would be a good option to rent.

I have the 70-300mm VR and that works good during daylight for these kinds of events. It is also light and easy to carry all day, especially if you are expected to be doing some other things at the track.

But is the 80-400 VR a good solution for high speed sports?
that is one reason I opted not to get it, it was slow to focus.
Trying to shoot fast Formula1 cars requires a fast AutoFocus, which from what I recall was one of it's weak points. But I never tested it, only read online reviews.

The old 80-400 was slow to focus. I had tried that one out side by side with the 70-300 and felt it was not worth the extra cost. I have seen good results of people using the new 80-400 for things like birds-in-flight.

I don't think I quite need the speed of a second camera. I should be able to set up for shot depending on where I walk to, so carrying a second lens is going to be just fine. I'll look at those lenses though.

the Nikon 85mm 1.8G is my favorite telephoto.
the 24-70mm is my favorite zoom right now.

the 70-300mm VR is probably a good lens for you for what your needs are.

The 70-300 VR is on my radar.

Seems like an easy choice to me: Nikon 80-400. Sounds like you might get good use from the 80mm end, so I think it would be better than a 150-600.

However, I'd also try to talk to the more experienced photographers there, mostly to understand if you need fast lenses.

By the way, VR can even ruin a panning shot when used incorrectly. It may try to correct for your panning, so when you get the lens, look around for different modes of the image stabilization system, to see if there's one that's specifically useful for panning (i.e. shutting off stabilization for horizontal movements).

The Nikon 80-400 is probably my top choice right now, at least from a focal length perspective. Have to read up on reviews as far as autofocus and VR. It is only f/4.5-5.6, so if I do try to shoot for a f/4 or better this will be eliminated unfortunately. You're correct about having around 80mm be useful though.

I wish I could talk to them before, but I know no one that is going to be shooting there. I am going to try to talk to them during, but by then it's too late to obtain a lens. I do know the track somewhat though, and besides under the shade of the main grandstand, there is no shade for the cars, so shooting with f/5.6 shouldn't be a problem strictly from a speed perspective. Provided the weather is good anyway. Of course, bokeh might be nice to have.

I'll read up about panning and VR.

I'm thinking Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1 or VR2

That will give you approximately 300mm view on the high end on crop frame.

It's not a bad choice, just looking to get something longer than 200mm if possible.

buy the 300mm f/4 actually.

But is the 80-400 VR a good solution for high speed sports?
that is one reason I opted not to get it, it was slow to focus.
Trying to shoot fast Formula1 cars requires a fast AutoFocus, which from what I recall was one of it's weak points. But I never tested it, only read online reviews.
Are you talking about the AF-S version of the older one? The AF-S should be very good; seems like Thom Hogan has been shooting wildlife very successfully with it.

buy the 300mm f/4 actually.
Forgot about that lens. You mean the new PF, right? Could be a good choice if aperture is important, but I think the 80-400 may still be a better option.

Most reactions

Back