Nikon N80 advice

serita13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a novice photographer. I have a Nikon N80 35mm film camera with a Nikon AF 28-80mm G lens and also a Quantaray 70-300mm lens. It is all in mint condition. It was a gift when I had my son. I am not sure if I want it or if I should switch to a digital camera. I was going to list it all on craigslist for 750.00. Is this too cheap? Also, if I switch to a digital Nikon is the quantaray lens compatible with the digital models? Any suggestions or advice please! I know the nikon n80 is a great camera and I don't want to make a mistake by letting it go. I am not very knowledgeable with these things and appreciate any help! Also, what do you think of the Nikon d3100 in comparison to what I have now?

Last edited:
Your lenses will work on many Nikon DSLRs but on some models there will be a loss of some features such as auto-focus.

There is a lens/body compatibility chart here:
Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

Prices on film bodies have plummeted in recent years. You might get lucky and get $100 for your N80 body but it's more likely you would get less -- like $40-$50.

I would suggest keeping your gear and buying a nice used Nikon DSLR body. Then you can shoot both film or digital and see which you like best.

Welcome to the forum.

Keep the N80 and the Quantaray lens because you'd just about have to give them away. You might get $80 or so for the 28-80mm but honestly I'd just keep the whole kit.

You didn't mention how old your child was but if they are a new addition then a digicam is what you need. All the snapshots and video would bankrupt a modestly sized bank if you were using film.

Your kit is only worth about $80, I'd keep it. $750 is about what that kit cost new 10+ years ago. If you buy a nikon dslr, get one with an af motor so u can use your old lenses. A nikon d80 can be had for only $300 these days on the used (ebay) market. Cheaper new nikon dslrs (d3000, 3100, 5000) don't have an af motor and would only be good for manual focusing your lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back