Nikon N80 vs Canon EOS 7N/NE

Youngun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a film slr and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I would love to get personal opinions and experiences about these cameras. I'm trying to consider everything: lense selection and quality, flash + accessory systems, upgrade backs and digital backs, controls and setup. An offhand question: On either of these can you change the focusing screens? such as one for manual focusing etc? thanks.

im not sure about the elan, but on the nikon, you can change screens.

plus you cant go wrong with nikon anything. i have the n80

md

Youngun,I've owned and used my N80 for the last four years.It has never let me down.Has done a great job.You can't go wrong.Bin

You can't go wrong with either one. Both Canon & Nikon have comparable lenses and accessories. I'm a Canon guy so I'll say go with the Elan.

As for upgrade backs, there are date backs and Canon has a technical E back that will imprint some more info on the film but I think that's about it.
When you talk about switching backs, you are usually talking medium format (or bigger) cameras and not 35mm cameras. I did hear that some company was trying to make a digital back for 35mm SLR cameras but I don't' think they are readily available.

I don't know if the Elan has a changeable focus screen but why do you want one for manual focusing? The standard screen will allow you to focus just fine weather in manual or auto focus. Plus I believe that the Elan's screen has indicators for the selectable focus points.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back