Nikon needed for a B & W photography class, info pls

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started my first college level photography (B&W) course and found out that I need a 35mm SLR (I thought my dSLR would work, but apparently not). I'm actually really looking forward to using a darkroom and all that good stuff but I need to figure out what camera to get. I know a film camera body isn't all that important, but I'd like to get something (if possible) with a lens mount that is compatible with my d40x. I know that the lenses would have to be focused manually and there would be a crop factor (correct me if I'm wrong) but at the price people are getting rid of their old SLR outfits... I might as well get a few nice lenses for my digi at the same time. If there's nothing compatible, than what would people suggest as far as a decent nikon body with familiar controls?

Why are you not looking forward to using a darkroom? It is a fantastic learning experience, not to mention a lot of fun. I don't know anything about Nikon equipment, but I can tell you that not all film slrs are manual focus, and they certainly do not have a crop factor. Your d40x has the crop factor. The sensor is smaller than the 35mm film you'll be shooting.

I'm actually really looking forward to using a darkroom and all that good stuff but I need to figure out what camera to get.

Misread my post, heh. I was saying that the lens will have to be manually focused on my dSLR because of nikon's new focusing system for the d40 bodies. I don't mind manually focusing, I just wondered if the d40x can accept some of the older nikon mount lenses. Also, I just wanted to know what people would suggest for a first 35mm SLR (preferably nikon).

Oops, sorry, I did misread you. I don't understand the compatibility issues of Nikon, since I don't use them. I understand you want to be able to use your investment of glass with your dslr, and that would be great. When it comes to film slrs though, pretty much any Nikon film body would be a great choice. Check out www.keh.com for used film equipment. I'm sure a Nikon user will be along shortly to point out the compatibility issues.

I'll probably be looking around craigslist in my area, so far I've found an n55 with a kit lens for $100, that's about the best deal I've found. I actually need it by thursday (lol), so I guess I'll have to take what I can get. I can only assume that the 'n' line of nikon camera's are their SLR's for the average consumer and that's probably what I'll go with.

Just typed a response and lost it due to this stupid forum automatically logging out all the time. buy an F5, F4S, F100, F90X, all going for peanuts, all pro models with loads of functions/modes, now I'll stop before it cuts me off again.

I have or have had about every Nikon film SLR body since the Nikon FTn and Nikkormat FS. Any of the better or pro bodies will be fine. My favorite is the F3. I own the F, F2, F3, F4 and F5. The 3 is simply a dream to shoot and is small and rugged. It will not AF, but that is not an issue in my mind. It will mount any Nikkor lens from the mid seventies to current, but "G" lenses don't have an aperture ring and can't be used except wide open. Hope this helps, and have fun!

I guess it is safe to assume that you have the D40x?? because if you don't, buy a different one!!!. But to your body delection if you are looking used it has been thouroughly covered I would heartily suggest looking at an N90s. I looked on B+H and saw this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800526770-USE/Nikon_1768_N90S_Body.html considering the last price I remember was $799 that is a pretty damn good deal you can also get an F5 for around $500 but I don't think you want to get that far into a film body. Another consideration is a N8008s it's a goddamned steal at $89 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800543194-USE/Nikon__N8008_AF_35mm_SLR.html . So needless to say there is alot fo options out there for getting great deals on film bodies. Good luck getting into B+W printing I used to love it sooo much when I was in school.

I think eventually I'll get a n90s as my AF 35mm, but for now I went to my parents house and dug up my dads old nikon fg20. It's %100 manual but it's a good place to learn and it's actually a pretty nice camera.

The first day we went out shooting for class I was using my girlfriends moms pentax from like 1955. Light meter didn't work, the lens was filthy, and it was kind of a nightmare. It's safe to say the nikon will be a relief. Exposure case-studies for the win.

I have an N90s and it's a Great camera. But if this is just an occasional take-it-out-and-shoot-it kind of a thing, after you're done with the class do look into the N8008s. The 8008/s is truly a gem of a camera body!! (the 8008s has a spot meter the non-s doesn't)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back