Nikon New Lens Arrival,Who's is Getting one?

Twice the price (more or less) of the 200-400 for an extra 20mm??? WTF are they thinking?

I think I cured my NAS a few years ago. Drooling over the latest and greatest just ain't what it used to be.

Twice the price (more or less) of the 200-400 for an extra 20mm??? WTF are they thinking?

pro lens, with pro features.

blows the sharpness off the 200-400 out of the water:

Nikon-180-400mm-f4E-VR-vs-Nikon-200-400mm-f4G-VR-II-Wide-MTF.png

Nikon-180-400mm-f4E-VR-vs-Nikon-200-400mm-f4G-VR-II-Tele-MTF.png

that's PRIME levels of sharpness in a zoom.

did you also miss the built in 1.4x TC?

Nikon-180-400mm-f4E-TC1.4-FL-ED-VR-MTF-Chart.png

still outperforms the 200-400 with a 1.4x TC.

or the new aperture diaphragm for more accurate focusing during burst shots? (which is what this will be used for mainly) or new "instant" VR system?

I agree with comments above. I am done with buying new stuff I am very happy with what I have despite some short comings I can live with. The price is insanely high though but sure there will be those that will be ordering it,Its way out of my price league anyways.

its still ridiculously overpriced.

Cost more then my used car I just bought.

These high-dollar lenses attract the super-wealthy, as well as large organization buyers with deep pockets. Rich amateurs purchase a lot of the very high, high-end stuff. Additionally, these lenses bring a lot of prestige and bragging rights to the camera companies, like Canon and Nikon. The 200-400 VR had/has a reputation for NOT being all that sharp at longer ranges, such as when used for wildlife or nature stuff, but it's fine at close distances, according to Thom Hogan.That lens never appealed to me much. I mean, a 200 to 400mm lens that was only f/4 but was large, heavy, and premiered around $4,000 back when the 200mm f/2 was $3,995...I bought the then=-new 200mm f/2 AF-S VR-G for $4,000 and had a world-class lens for 15 years or so, until I sold it last year. Right now, the "old" 200-400 VR lenses are affordable, used, but still...a 200mm f/4? A 300mm f/4? Ehhhhh.....

Ths new lens? Bragging rights for the seller and the buyers of said lens, and MUCH better optics for the new 36- and 45-MP Nikons we have these days...and the built-in 1.4x TC (like the one Canon has had for several years now).

It's only $12,000.

I wish I had endless pockets full of cash too.

So expensive I think I be afraid taking it out through a trail walk ,I would probably trip over something crash it to the ground then cry like a baby.Good thing I can't afford it and nothing to worry about.

So expensive I think I be afraid taking it out through a trail walk ,I would probably trip over something crash it to the ground then cry like a baby.Good thing I can't afford it and nothing to worry about.
I bet I couldn't afford to rent it for a weekend.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back