Nikon Nikkor 85mm F/1.8 AF D, check my homework please.

Haha, but again, don't do it. Getting that one shot with manual focus was a b****. Either upgrade to D7000/D700, etc. or get the AF-S version. Build quality notwithstanding, having fast, accurate, AF-S ability is a great trade-off.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter man. If I upgrade, it's going to be a Canon though...for the free usage of high dollar chit I can't afford now. lol

I am also considering getting an upgraded body of Canon, and using this as my backup (my Nikon). So I may forgo the new lens and save for a Canon body.

Reason mainly being is that I have access to borrow almost anything I want in regards to Canon as they are Canon shooters, personally I like the feel of Nikon better, but I am sure I can learn to like Canon...especially when I have such a luxury as borrowing lenses, lights, accessories etc etc.

FWIW, manual focusing an 85mm lens on a crop frame camera would be extremely difficult unless you're using live view. The DoF is going to be pretty narrow (from 1.8-3.2), so it may behoove you to save for the AF-S version if you're really interested in pursuing the 85mm. Just my thoughts...

Noted. Exactly the type of personal experience I was looking for when making the thread.

You have all been very helpful.

Well, its pretty clear that K.R. is saying that the D5100 & 3100 both won't meter or autofocus, but I can tell you that the former is untrue. I had no problems metering with D lenses on the 5100. I'd try again right now but the wife has it and she's out of town. But I'm certain it does.

Here. I took this with the 60mm 2.8D macro with the D5100 (manual focus, of course) but it metered.

lol, yay for mis information. I think he got that chart straight from nikon, but I could be wrong. I think there was also a blurb as in "might not work" not a definite not work...not sure.

Actually, I just looked again at that chart. I think we're both reading it wrong. For AI and AI-S, it says No Meter. For AF-D, it just says no AF for D3100. I think the chart is accurate then.

Actually, I just looked again at that chart. I think we're both reading it wrong. For AI and AI-S, it says No Meter. For AF-D, it just says no AF for D3100. I think the chart is accurate then.

Wow, you're right. I'm retarded. I have been reading this chit for 3 hours before I posted. lol. Guess I have computer eyes tonight. Thanks for checking my homework lol.

I believe all of the D lenses will meter on all Nikon DLSR bodies.. just no AF on the entry bodies is all!

I just checked the list.. and yours WILL meter! Look at it again...

Kundalini's Hogan URL has the D3000.. states that the rangefinder will show correct focus on the D3000.. so I would assume it would on the D3100 also...

(Edit): just noticed I missed Hetz's post above... so this is rather redundant! lol!

Last edited:
I believe all of the D lenses will meter on all Nikon DLSR bodies.. just no AF on the entry bodies is all!

I just checked the list.. and your WILL meter! Look at it again...

Kundalini's Hogan URL has the D3000.. states that the rangefinder will show correct focus on the D3000.. so I would assume it would on the D3100 also...

(Edit): just notice I missed Hetz's post above... so this is rather redundant! lol!

well since you called yourself out on redundancy, I guess I don't have to. lol.

Thanks for always being there for me Charlie. :)

I think I made up my mind. I'm going to stop looking for lenses for the Nikon, for now, and save up more for a Canon 7D instead. Then later I may pick up a prime for my Nikon.

Ernicus said:
I think I made up my mind. I'm going to stop looking for lenses for the Nikon, for now, and save up more for a Canon 7D instead. Then later I may pick up a prime for my Nikon.

The 7D is a great body. The 60D is also very capable at a lower price point.

FWIW, it will meter fine. Any lens with 5 contacts will meter, but not AF with the lower end models... If you like Nikon and have money in lenses, you could always look at a D300, I just picked one up cheap and it is a great camera. Unless video is important to you the D300 is pretty awesome... just my humble opinion. The 7D is also a very good camera, but if you are on a budget, it might not make sense to have 2 camera systems....

FWIW, it will meter fine. Any lens with 5 contacts will meter, but not AF with the lower end models... If you like Nikon and have money in lenses, you could always look at a D300, I just picked one up cheap and it is a great camera. Unless video is important to you the D300 is pretty awesome... just my humble opinion. The 7D is also a very good camera, but if you are on a budget, it might not make sense to have 2 camera systems....

I dunno if you read all the thread, but it makes sense in terms of availablility of lenses and gear. Instead of trying over time to save up for lenses and gear for Nikon, I can get a good canon body and be able to borrow and use many many things.

I was looking at the 7D and 60D back and forth....and there is not a whole lot of difference....I would go with the 7D simply because once getting that I would not have to worry about an upgrade for quite some time as it will be more than capable of anything I want to do while I find my market area and learn where exactly I want to go.

I do still intend to get me a 85 1.8 for my Nikon. I have just changed direction in timing. The more I really thought of it, it just makes sense to me to invest in a body where I can learn and use many different lenses, vs invest in one or two lenses and be limited to those two lenses in the interim.

I let myself get caught up in the excitement of having an awesome 85mm vs. thinking out what would make more sense in spending while learning.

I know Kundalini loves his and he knows a hell of alot more about photography than I do...

But I was no fan of the 85 1.8 AF-D, the bokeh was just totally mediocre in my opinion and purple fringing was highly visable. The 85 1.8G AF-S seems to be superior.

Most reactions

Back