Nikon NIKORR 50mm f/1.8 Questions

rateeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks.
Just bought Nikon NIKORR 50mm f/1.8 lens for my D40 and i have a few newbie questions.

1. How can i adjust the aperture manually on the lens cause it's just stuck on the f/22, and even if i move it manually to f/1.8, the camera tells me to lock it to f/22?

2. Is this lens only good for indoor studio portraits?

3. Is this lens good enough on low light outdoor shoots?

4. Macro doesn't work much on this lens or is it just me?

5. Suggestions on how can i make use of this lens?

Thanks so much for the inputs.
Im really enjoying taking photos.
God Bless.

Hi folks.
Just bought Nikon NIKORR 50mm f/1.8 lens for my D40 and i have a few newbie questions.

1. How can i adjust the aperture manually on the lens cause it's just stuck on the f/22, and even if i move it manually to f/1.8, the camera tells me to lock it to f/22?

2. Is this lens only good for indoor studio portraits?

3. Is this lens good enough on low light outdoor shoots?

4. Macro doesn't work much on this lens or is it just me?

5. Suggestions on how can i make use of this lens?

Thanks so much for the inputs.
Im really enjoying taking photos.
God Bless.

1.You need to adjust your aperture via your camera. It needs to be on f/22 and locked in place on our cameras, as I have a D40 also.
2. NO, this lens is good for all kinds of stuff! Mess around with it, it can do all kinds of wonderful photos!
3. YES. If it's good enough for indoor shots, it's definitely good enough for outdoor shots as well!
4. NO, macro doesn't work very well, but it's not a macro lens.
5. You can use it however you wish! I have used mine for all applications...portraits, great depth of field shots, even landscape shots can be done if focused properly.

GOOD LUCK AND SHOW US YOUR RESULTS!

My view on the Nikkor 50mm 1.8......

Its not a Macro lens, and its not a real good landscape lens. YMMV, but I wouldn't try to use it for either. If you want a macro lens, buy a macro lens.

It IS, however, great in most any light level, both indoors and out, and for almost any other circumstance I have run in to with it. It is by far the least expensive lens in my limited collection, but it is the one that spends the most time mounted to my camera. Outside of the two things mentioned above, there really isn't anything that lens can't do.

Except zoom.

Of course, that's just my .02, etc etc.

For future reference, unless you are using an older completely manual lens, all lenses will need to be stopped all the way down to work.
Also, keep in mind that since the D40 is a DX series nikon, it has a 1.5 crop factor, meaning it has a smaller sensor and consequently all focal lengths are multiplied by 1.5, so a 50mm comes out to be a 76mm here. Fear not since this is still a very acceptable focal lengths for general uses, but its especially good for portraits due to the very slight telephoto compression (the longer a lens is, the less visual depth will be perceived). If you actually want 50mm on a DX camera you'll need to pick up a 35mm lens (which comes out to 53mm, close enough). For another hundred bucks, Nikkor makes a DX 35mm 1.8 lens which is absolutely gorgeous. Just something to lust after in the future.
Regardless, I love this lens and just like Stradawhovious, I keep it on my D 70 more than anything else.

This lens is probably the best bang for the buck in a Nikon system. I love mine. It does things like this:
4104908510_d6138a1075_b.jpg
[/url]
thinker by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

and this:
5151957245_b2bc5351c4_b.jpg
[/url]
flower. mostly yellow by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's really up to your imagination to get great things out of it. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input guys.
Will bear those in mind.

Great lens for the money.

This was shot on a crop body. Looks even better with FX/35mm.
5208395610_7c1a83f4b8_z.jpg

I have the Canon version on my cam and it's on my cam for about 75% of the time i'm shooting :)

Seeings how all your questions seem to have been answered--I think I'll just add some sample photos I've taken with it.

Blossom_by_listoman.jpg
(Sorry about the big resolution...)
Leftlight_Evergreen_by_listoman.jpg

This lens can pretty much be used for ANYTHING you want. Really. It's the only lens I really ever use. I occasionally use my old manual 80-200 f/4.5 but it's a low quality lens and I only use it when I NEED the extra focal length, Otherwise I'll just crop the photo.

For macro, it really doesnt focus too close. A good idea though is to put it into manual focus and turn the focusing ring to the closest setting and move your camera in and out to get the closest possible focus.

Most reactions

Back