Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well it's the most popular lens they have since it comes with every starter body.

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
So, because I'm not motivated enough to Google it--what is AF-P?

According to Nikon -> The new AF-P stands for "fast and quiet AF with adoption of a stepping motor for AF drive operation".

jcdeboever

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
stepping motor?

So the focus motor has different gears now for variable focusing speed ?

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
They are replacing the old ones with light compact ones -- thing doesn't look any bigger than a 50mm.

seems smart to me.

but makes me think a new 3000 and 5000 series camera will be available soon paired with it...

edit:

50mm: 72 x 52mm - 185g
18-55 AF-P: 64.5 x 62.5mm - 205g

Last edited:

hamlet

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
No-noise focus with video...Obviously.
I do have to say that that is pretty awesome. I've dabbled in some videography and the focus on my 18-55 was really loud and distracting.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Gotta keep up with other competing camera companies and their offerings; low- and mid-range d-slr cameras kitted with an 18-55mm zoom lens are the most popular cameras in terms of sales. The new stepping motor concept for silent focusing while shooting video is the newest wrinkle currently being added to lenses. Nikon is claiming a full 4.0 stop VR capability with the new AF-P VR model. Focusing is faster. Optics are better. Both of these will be the "new version".

"The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR accelerates phase-detection AF speeds by approximately 10 times and contrast-detection AF speeds by approximately 3.5 times. With a 25% reduction in noise within the AF drive, this lens is great for shooting stills and even better for videos."

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Nikon announces two new AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G lenses | Nikon Rumors

Two aspherical elements, the large front one, and pretty good MTF curves. Again...the 18-55 is the most-popular seller for the camera companies. And who thinks Nikon is going to stay right at 24 million pixels in APS-C sensor cameras?

blackroze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I am a beginner and I have a question. Can I astrophotography (amateur level) with a 18-55 lens or is it impossible? I have a D5200 body also.

hamlet

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I am a beginner and I have a question. Can I astrophotography (amateur level) with a 18-55 lens or is it impossible? I have a D5200 body also.
Why not? I took lots of pictures of the blown out sky with my 18-55, lots of good memories. Fun fact! My country looks like its radioactive from space. Let no man say that they ever saw a single star. people need lots of light.

Most reactions