Nikon or Canon as my first camera?

gabriel.fonseca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!

MitchP

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you insist on the DSLR route, I'd pick the D3300 between your two choices. If you are able to stretch a little more I'd go with a Canon EOS R10 w/EF adapter and extra batteries.

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Have used/owned both. Either is fine for getting started.

Kinda a Ford vs. Chevy debate, really. They will both get you there.

RAZKY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!
Either camera would be fine for a rank beginner, but seriously expecting to "start in photography professionally" is bordering on insanity.

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why does your new camera need to be Nikon or Canon, there are lots of cameras on the market...

davholla

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Either camera would be fine for a rank beginner, but seriously expecting to "start in photography professionally" is bordering on insanity.
Yes I agree sadly it is a tricky business even for people who know what they are doing. I would serious suggest that you consider a different career.
Personally I would ask any friends who got cameras if you can use them and see which you like best.

JoeW

Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Photos OK to edit
You're overthinking this. Seriously, you are. You can use software like Topaz Lab to reduce grain or add pixels. The quality of your lens is going to influence the quality of your picture more than either of these bodies will. Both of these bodies are roughly equal--six of one, half a dozen of another.

The "feel" and ergonomics of a Nikon are very different from a Canon. Most Canon users pick up a Nikon and go "weird" and Nikon users have the same reaction. That's because that while these are relatively equal cameras in terms of performance and what they'll do, they will feel different. Go to a camera store and hold each one, go through the menus. See which "feels" better for you--more of a fit--and is more intuitive. Then make your decision.

Most reactions

New Topics