Nikon or Canon thread # 9876871623485

sobi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well here is the deal. I was one of the unfortunate ones whos sony sensor went out on my f717. If you haven't heard, there is a class action law suit that went through a couple months ago, so if that happend to you too, you can get it replaced and fixed for free. I just sent mine out. Anyhow, I have decided to step it up and move to a DSLR. I want some lenses to play with now.:lol:

I know there are about 8 billion threads with people asking that same "is nikon or canon better?" question, so I already have come to the conclusion they are more or less equal and that I should go with which ever one feels better in my hands. What I do want to know is this. Which one has the cheaper lenses? Also, is Canon an american product? I started out wanting to go with nikon, but canon seems to be winning me over possibly.

Lens prices are similar for both at comparable quality levels. And, no, Canon is a Japanese company just like Nikon or Sony. As the other threads will tell you, they're both rock-solid companies that have their own set of strengths over the other. You won't regret going either direction.

both have similarly priced lenses, but some say that canon's lenses are a tad cheaper. You'll most likely want to get nicer lenses in the future anyway, so be prepared to spend more and more on lenses :)

both companies have pretty much equal offerings in the consumer/'beginner dslr' range. You'll be happy with either one, i'm sure. The only way to determine is if you know exactly what you'll be shooting, and you have a specific budget.

Both companies have cheap lenses and both have expensive lenses...and both have lenses that cost more than a car.

Don't worry about it...just go with your thought about getting what feels best to you.

Overall they are pretty much the same. You might prefer the ergonomics (button placement, menus, etc...) of one camera over the other.

Canon uses an anti-aliasing filter over the sensor which cuts down on noise, but also reduces sharpness. So Canon has a little less noise, and Nikon is a little sharper. When I was shopping for a DSLR I seemed to notice Canon's noise free higher ISOs more than Nikon's extra sharpness, so I went Canon. DSLR images can use some post-processing sharpening anyway, whatever the brand.

ksmattfish said:
Canon uses an anti-aliasing filter over the sensor which cuts down on noise, but also reduces sharpness. So Canon has a little less noise, and Nikon is a little sharper. When I was shopping for a DSLR I seemed to notice Canon's noise free higher ISOs more than Nikon's extra sharpness, so I went Canon. DSLR images can use some post-processing sharpening anyway, whatever the brand.

Sharpening (amount is based on the size of the final print) from a raw image is a whole lot easier than dealing with the noise. As for lens cost, the third party guys (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina for example) make lenses with either Nikon or Canon and are generally less expensive.

Maybe just go to a camera store and try both out to see which looks better. Like the others said... either way I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase but one might have a menu that's easier to navigate, etc. that you might find personally helpful.

I debated for months between the Nikon D50 and Canon Digital Reb XT and finally went with the D50. I absolutely love it but I'm also sure if I would've went with the XT I would be saying the same about that.

I was stuck between the two. I had the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D50 sitting in front of me. Both were very attractive cameras. At one point I almost walked out to give it a few days and then make a decision. In the end I chose the Nikon over the Canon due to the fact that it just FELT better. It looks like that advice was already given. Go to a store that allows you to pick each camera up. Narrow things down to 2-3 cameras. Pick the one that feels right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back