Nikon or Sigma?

Tommy_Boy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there :)

This time I have a different issue, that keeps bothering me, and I'm hoping You could help me out with this one :) I have to buy a zoom lens[ working purpose ], and there are two choices - Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro. The latter I can get really cheap so my question is - is it any good? Is it much worse than the Nikon lens?

Cheers,
Tommy_Boy

Never used them. I've used the 70-200VR. My guess is that the nikon should be a little sharper wide open (depending which model 80-200.) The 80-200 is built like a tank and should hold up fairly well. Unless its the AF-s, focus speed will depend on your camera. What camera are you using?

I live in Warsaw, Poland. Yep, the Nikkor is a push-pull; built somewhen between 1988 and 1992. I know, it's a bit old but from what I hear the PQ is outstanding.

Cheers,
Tommy_Boy

I live in Warsaw, Poland. Yep, the Nikkor is a push-pull; built somewhen between 1988 and 1992. I know, it's a bit old but from what I hear the PQ is outstanding.

Cheers,
Tommy_Boy

Are you using it for sports? Or just portraits ?

I would avoid that Nikon--the push-pull version is very old. The sigma might be better for you.

There are ~3 Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM's...

70-200 f/2.8 HSM
70-200 f/2.8 HSM II
70-200 f/2.8 HSM OS

The first is not very good... f/2.8 - f/4 isn't very usable.
The second one is great if you can find it at a good price... f/2.8 is OK.. gets much better at f/4.
The third is just like the 2nd but includes Image Stabilization (OS).

In this case I would go for the Sigma assuming it isn't the first version.

I would avoid that Nikon--the push-pull version is very old. The sigma might be better for you.

I am leaning toward this for one reason. You have to check the condition. It's an old pro lens and might have been beaten to death. I have a push pull but from the early to mid 2000's and no issues aside from flare.

Not mentioned but the tamron seems to get good reviews in image quality.

I would be tempted to wait and see if a non push pull or an AF-S comes up. I bought the AF-S 80 - 200 from Aperture in London a while back.

Most reactions

Back