Nikon P7000 help...

jimi1114

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading a bunch about the AF issues folks are having and I seem to be having the same issues. The images just seem to be soft and I simply can't get it right. I sent some images to Nikon Support and below is what I got back. Does this make sense as I don't understand why single focus would work better the continuous. I really want to keep this camera as it is what I have been waiting for from Nikon. I also have a LX5 which simply blows the P7000 images out of the water. I know the LX5 can't be that much better so it is either me or maybe I got a bad copy of the Nikon. Any help/advice would be great.

*********************************//

Thanks for the sample images.

Sorry for the long delay in answering. Due to a server problem we had a large number of email responses that were not routed properly. We have solved the problem and are working to reduce the backlog.

After evaluating the images, I do agree that the images do look a bit soft but keep in mind that you shot most images using the focus mode selector on AF-C (autofocus continuous). I would recommend you set the camera to AF-S (autofocus single) and try taking some new sample see the results you'll get, attach those new samples for me to evaluate as well.

Now, go onto your Shooting Menu, look up the Continuous option and make sure that is set to Single then go back onto the Shooting Menu and select the Autofocus Mode, make sure that it's set to AF-S once you've changed to these settings feel free to take your new sample images.

Does make sense in a way and is a simple troubleshooting step for them, good to know they did look at the photos and got back to you.

AF-S won't keep hunting for focus once it locks on something whereas AF-C can, resulting in focus one moment and it locks on something else the next.

What is it you are trying to shoot when this happens?

FWIW, I thought (and hoped) the P7000 was the camera I had been wanting from Nikon also, however it didn't pan out well for me at all. I found the interface too slow and the autofocus very poor, even in good conditions. Several times it told me it was resetting, just annoying. The final straw was when the lens cover blades stopped opening all the way. I wanted to love the camera because it produced beautiful photographs when it worked properly, but it's just too sloppily built in my opinion.

Continuous focus mode allows the shutter to release even if focus has not yet been achieved, while single focus mode requires focus lock before it will allow shutter release.

Thanks for the quick replies. The images I sent were simple shots of my wife. The lighting was not real good as it was under heavy overcast skies. I shot in both A and P modes with basically the same results. The camera seemed to realy hunt for focus, so I will try AF-S to see if it makes a difference. It really seemed to strugle when zooming on the subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back