Nikon PK extension tubes

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by Joel_W, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Joel_W

Joel_W TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I purchased a pair of Nikon PK auto extention tubes for an intro into macro photography. I previously posted that they didn't work with my D70S and either of my AF-S lenses. I spoke with Nikon about this, and I was told by a supervior that the PK auto tubes will not let the camera and lens communicate with each other. You need to use a lens that has a aperture ring. I veried this with the instructions that came with the tubes.

Aren't all the current Nikkor lenses S series lenses? If so, then why would they continue to make tubes that don't work with S series lenses?

After doing a little research on Kenko tubes, they work with all of the Nikon digital cameras and S series lenses. If they can do it, why can't Nikon do it?

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The PK series dates back a ways.. back to before the G series lens (no aperture adjustment) came out. I had a PK-13 that I just gave to Megan (MTVision) when she bought my Tokina 100 Macro (it does have an aperture ring). They work great, as long as you manually focus and have an external Aperture ring.

Nikon could do it.. but there may not be enough perceived market to make it worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joel_W

Joel_W TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Charlie, I ended up returning the Nikon tubes to Adorama, and picked up a set of Kenko tubes. I made sure that they indeed did work with the S series of lenses at Cameta Camera, and they worked great.

5. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yep.. if you have "G" lenses.. Kenko's are your best bet! :)