Nikon - "pro" lens nomenclature

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tried checking on a number of websites - I was not able to tell how Nikon ID a "pro" type lens.

I know for Canon, it's "L" - visually, it's anything white or black with red rubber band :)

How does Nikon ID their "pro" level lens?

Nikon typically will use the Gold Ring on their lens to identify the "Pro" lineup.

Acronyms

Nikon Zoom Lens breakdown. Thom is supposed to do a prime breakdown, but haven't looked for it lately.

Thanks for info/chart.

Am trying to compare what is availibility and pricing between Canon and Nikon.

Does not look like too many "pro" grade lens.

Thanks for info/chart.

Am trying to compare what is availibility and pricing between Canon and Nikon.

Does not look like too many "pro" grade lens.

Nikon has a very similar lineup of pro glass, they are just harder to see, because they're not white. :lol:

Anything over $500. ;)
Not true.. the 18-200 VR is over 500 dollars and is not a pro lens :p

As for the white glass, not all L series are white either ;) And not all their pro series are L. Any with the Red ring are their pro series.

The White lenses are all completely weather sealed, however some of the red ringed ones are not. Those ones you have to research to see.

Tolyk;1357045]Not true.. the 18-200 VR is over 500 dollars and is not a pro lens :p

As for the white glass, not all L series are white either ;) And not all their pro series are L.

What Pro lenses does canon have that are not L glass? I can't think of any.

Any with the Red ring are their pro series.

Yep

The White lenses are all completely weather sealed, however some of the red ringed ones are not.

All 4 70-200mm Canon L lenses are white lenses with red rings. Only the 70-200 f2.8 & f4 IS are weather sealed.

Link to the Canon L series lens spec chart. It indicates those that are weather sealed and those that are not.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/l-lens/spec/lens_spec.html#23

Those ones you have to research to see.

Also, don't be snookered into thinking that only "Pro" , "Gold Ring" or any other nomenclature is the only resource for quality Nikkor lenses. I have a few primes that aren't marked as such, but wouldn't kick you in the ass if you asked (nicely) to borrow them. ( A cash deposit would definetly be required though) :lol:

What Pro lenses does canon have that are not L glass? I can't think of any.

I was thinking the 50 1.2, but after checking, it is indeed L. My bad.

And okay, I was wrong about 2 lenses, thanks for the correction. Apparently, also the 100-400 is not, one of my co-workers told me it was, just earlier today, I shall have to correct them later. (They misinformed a customer at the same time)

Also, don't be snookered into thinking that only "Pro" , "Gold Ring" or any other nomenclature is the only resource for quality Nikkor lenses. I have a few primes that aren't marked as such, but wouldn't kick you in the ass if you asked (nicely) to borrow them. ( A cash deposit would definetly be required though) :lol:

Agree; if you're buying primes, the 'D' series are excellent glass.

The 17-50 EF-S 2.8 is a pro quality lens; canon wont put an L after EF-S. Also the 50mm 1.4 is commonly used by pros, even ones who do buy a lot of L glass.

the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro is a hard macro lens to beat, but it's not an L either ...

Most reactions

Back