Nikon Purchase Pending - Need Advice on Off Camera Flash - HSS & TTL

theraven871

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really wanted to buy into the Sony a7 mirrorless system. It looked like a dream come true.
Until I realized there is no solution to off camera flash with HSS (Radio triggered).

I originally was looking into getting a Nikon D610 and, after some type investigating the Sony system, I've come full circle and am now looking at buying one again.

What does everyone recommend for radio controlled off-camera flash on the Nikon platform?
What radio triggers are recommended? TTL/HSS compatible?

Yn622 triggers/receivers and yn622tx controller.

Last edited:
I never heard of the yn622tx before.
Looks like a good 3rd party solution! Thanks for the tip.

And you can get the Yongnuo YN-568-EX for a HSS capable speedlight.

Yn622 triggers/receivers and yn622tx controller.
I have this setup.
I went up to the Yongnuo radio triggers and TX unit from using the Nikon SU-800 system.
RF is the way to go for flexibility.
and Yongnuo isn't that expensive comparatively.

Can the Pocketwizards control the flash power from the transceiver unit like the YN622-TX when used in conjunction with YN622 receivers?

One limitation of the TX is only support 3 channels, but it also only costs $50 and can send full TTL data to a capatible flash.

Can the Pocketwizards control the flash power from the transceiver unit like the YN622-TX when used in conjunction with YN622 receivers?

One limitation of the TX is only support 3 channels, but it also only costs $50 and can send full TTL data to a capatible flash.

I believe the pocket wizards can control flash power from the transmitter on top the camera.
But, you're talking about a system that is ridiculously expensive. I can buy 10 of the Yongnuos for less than the cost of one Pocket wizard.
You cannot convince me that 1 Pocket Wizard will outlast 10 Yongnuos.

I'm not trying to be cheap. I just don't believe in overpaying for gear when there is no reason to do so.
Plus, I believe in having backups in case of equipment failure. The Yongnuos make that cheap.

The Yongnuo radio triggers are really tough to beat for the price. The pocket wizards work well but are crazy expensive. I use the little cheap Yongnuo manual triggers and they have never failed me. It depends on what is resting on the reliability of this piece of equipment.

Last edited:
The Yongnuo radio triggers are really tough to beat for the price. The pocket wizards work well but are crazy expensive. I use the little cheap Yongnuo manual triggers and they have never failed me. It depends on what is resting on the reliability of this piece of equipment.

That's right. I was also thinking about pocketwizards, but bought a few yongnuo 622's as a test, and they actually work really well. Only had very few very minor issues, like only the TX version has a battery monitor, but before every important shoot, I just put in freshly charged NIMH's and I'm all set. Once one of the 622N's stopped "talking" with the flash, and was out of warranty, so I opened it to see if I could find anything in there to reset (found nothing), so after that I just started pushing all buttons and discovered that when I pushed rapidly maybe 20 times on the "test" button, the transceiver actually started working again.
One more thing, I don't seem to be able to ever get a full 1/1 blast whatever I try, fx. setting the flash to TTL (as it should) and on the TX, I set it to M and 1/1, I get about 1/4, but that's ok for my usage. Whenever I need a full blast I just dial that in manually on the flash itself.
I'm using Yongnuo's YN622N (3 pcs) and YN622TX, Nissin Di700 flash, Nikon SB700 flash, Nikon SB28 flash, Nikon SB24 flash.. they all work with the radio triggers, but only the newer ones work in TTL mode and only the Nissin and the SB700 support HSS in this config.
I've had the yongnuo's for 3 years now, and this was the only issue I've had, and I'm a wedding photographer. By the way, come and have a look at my website, it's www.2fotografer.dk

That's right. I was also thinking about pocketwizards, but bought a few yongnuo 622's as a test, and they actually work really well. Only had very few very minor issues, like only the TX version has a battery monitor, but before every important shoot, I just put in freshly charged NIMH's and I'm all set. Once one of the 622N's stopped "talking" with the flash, and was out of warranty, so I opened it to see if I could find anything in there to reset (found nothing), so after that I just started pushing all buttons and discovered that when I pushed rapidly maybe 20 times on the "test" button, the transceiver actually started working again.
One more thing, I don't seem to be able to ever get a full 1/1 blast whatever I try, fx. setting the flash to TTL (as it should) and on the TX, I set it to M and 1/1, I get about 1/4, but that's ok for my usage. Whenever I need a full blast I just dial that in manually on the flash itself.
I'm using Yongnuo's YN622N (3 pcs) and YN622TX, Nissin Di700 flash, Nikon SB700 flash, Nikon SB28 flash, Nikon SB24 flash.. they all work with the radio triggers, but only the newer ones work in TTL mode and only the Nissin and the SB700 support HSS in this config.
I've had the yongnuo's for 3 years now, and this was the only issue I've had, and I'm a wedding photographer. By the way, come and have a look at my website, it's www.2fotografer.dk
Yet another old, ancient thread pulled from the dead to be resurrected

9403564-Cartoon-of-a-green-zombie-hand-coming-out-of-the-earth-Stock-Vector.jpg

Most reactions

Back