Nikon RAW...

EljayK004

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post. I picked up a D80 back in October and have been shooting Jpegs ever since. Frankly, for my use they work fine, however I'd like to try the whole RAW thing. I've shot a few and they don't come up on my computer. I have Elements 4, Infranview, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to veiw the pictures on. Do I have to buy Nikon Capture NX or is there another way? Is there a downloadable plugin for Elements or Pic. and Fax viewer? Thanks for the help. Great board here.

Johnny K

Welcome to the forum.

Your camera should have come with software to read the RAW files. There should be down loadable upgrades for Irfanview & Windows, to allow you to view the RAW files...but probably not to open them.

Nikon doesn't do that. They've been grilled about it often enough though. AFAIK only the D2X not even the D200 comes with Nikon Capture NX.

You will need some program to handle the RAW files. Some common ones are:
Adobe Camera RAW
Adobe Lightroom
Bibble Pro
Helicon Filter
Silkypix
DxO Optics Pro
Silverfast DCPro v
LightZone
Raw Therapee
ACDSee Pro

I believe Nikon has it's own RAW converter and I thought it could be done with the Picture-Project software that comes withthe camera.

go to nikon's website and download the program necessary for handling raw files.

i use only raw files and use nikon editor of dealing with them.

piscas2 will handle raw files, and it is free.

Well, I tried downloading the plugins for Infranview and it still doesn't work. I also tried downloading Nikon View at it doesn't work either. Anyone have a direst link for something to download, or something like that? Thanks for all the help, so far.

Johnny K

Nikon doesn't do that. They've been grilled about it often enough though. AFAIK only the D2X not even the D200 comes with Nikon Capture NX.

You will need some program to handle the RAW files. Some common ones are:
Adobe Camera RAW
Adobe Lightroom
Bibble Pro
Helicon Filter
Silkypix
DxO Optics Pro
Silverfast DCPro v
LightZone
Raw Therapee
ACDSee Pro

+1

google's Picasa2 works for RAW also, plus it's free :)

Picture Project does work, Click on the picture you want and then go to:
File
Export JPEG/TIFF...

That is what I did and it worked:)

I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post. I picked up a D80 back in October and have been shooting Jpegs ever since. Frankly, for my use they work fine, however I'd like to try the whole RAW thing. I've shot a few and they don't come up on my computer. I have Elements 4, Infranview, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to veiw the pictures on. Do I have to buy Nikon Capture NX or is there another way? Is there a downloadable plugin for Elements or Pic. and Fax viewer? Thanks for the help. Great board here.

Johnny K

For this you'll need a raw converter, Nikon View or Nikon Capture are great. These software will automaticly give photoshop capability to work with NEF (Nikon RAW files.) If these don't help please let Nikon know.

Best of luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back