Nikon Releases

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know any future rumoured DSLRs, CF or FF releases in the summer time? It seems like Nikon is having a slow year so far.. It feels like it's still February :( Patiently waiting from a new DSLR announcement.

Thom Hogan has some predictions. Nikonrumours.com is a source for speculation. The D400 is expected. So is a D4x. Right now, B&H Photo's new catalog lists 11 models/variants, NOT including the D90 or D700 or any of the D3 models, so...

The pro-level DX camera, the D300s successor camera, seems like the next logical step. I expect one in the summer, or around back to school time.

I really hope so! If that is true then I'm just going to wait until the end of summer and not get the d7100 or the d600.

A few weeks back, Thom sort of hedged his bets, and pointed out that in four of the last nine years, Nikon had introduced a new d-slr in the month of April. That did not come to pass. Still, he keeps track of ALL those kinds of things, like release dates, release patterns, and so on. His site has a lot of interesting stuff. A few months ago, Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site did an entire MONTH of articles on the "State of Nikon DX", both cameras, and lenses, as well as strategies, sales, and so on.

Based on his ideas, the D400 is going to need to offer quite a LOT in order to out-spec the D7100. Very high frame rates, good buffer, better video options, and so on. I expect the frame rate on a d400 will be 10 fps with grip added. I really do. And I expect FAST in-camera image pipeline/throughput and deep,deep buffer. The thing is, the D7100 offers so,so,so much in terms of feature set, at $1199, that I think Nikon is in a very good place, in the market. I think the D7100 is going to start building momentum, tremendously, like the D90 did.

Some cameras are big,big sellers, while others have no traction, either in mind share (perception) nor in sales. I think the D7100 is so new, and is poised for good things, so much so that I 'think' Nikon feels very little pressing need to upgrade their DX line, because frankly, I see the D7100 as a worthy competitor against anything Canon or Sony has....the Canon 7D is now long in the tooth, and has a weak sensor--compared to the BRAND-NEW 24MP,low-noise, wide-DR sensor in the D7100. The D7100 now has the HIGH-end AF module that the D4 uses!

DX is based on volume sales. A D400 will likely be an $1899 to $1699 model at launch.

In just over a year Nikon announced 7 new cameras. Some of those announcements were delayed by the tsunami in Japan, and the flooding in Thailand so Nikon had a busy year announcing new models in 2012.
(Pro grade Nikon gear is produced in Japan, consumer grade gear is mostly produced in Thailand.)

• January 2012 - D4
• February 2012 - D800/D800e
• April 2012 D3200
• Sept 2012 -D600
• Nov 2012 (Jan 2013 in USA) - D5200
• Feb 2013 - D7100

That almost comprises Nikon's entire lineup. How short do you expect product cycles can be?

They have to sell x number of units of each to amortize their development and design costs.

Since the D7100 has the Advanced Multi-Cam 3500DX auto focus module and an expanded bracketing capability, I suspect the D7100 takes the place of a D400, and that the D7000 line is now Nikon's prosumer DX camera segment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back