Nikon remote release

Infinite_Day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Stupid question - I ran a search but did not find an answer - does anybody know if the Nikon ML-L3 IR remote allow you to use the bulb setting? I want a remote for my D7000 but want the ability to use bulb if necessary. The cordless option seems convenient for not having to set the timer when taking a photo I want to be in but the corded remote may work better. Mostly going to be for wildlife shots on a monopod or tripod to keep shake down since I have a non-VR 300mm f/4 & 1.4 TC. Thanks to anybody who has input!

The D7000 supports the IR remote in Bulb. Push the remote release once to open the shutter, again to close it.

Downside: You'll need some method of timing the exposure.

Last edited:
Stupid question - I ran a search but did not find an answer - does anybody know if the Nikon ML-L3 IR remote allow you to use the bulb setting? I want a remote for my D7000 but want the ability to use bulb if necessary. The cordless option seems convenient for not having to set the timer when taking a photo I want to be in but the corded remote may work better. Mostly going to be for wildlife shots on a monopod or tripod to keep shake down since I have a non-VR 300mm f/4 & 1.4 TC. Thanks to anybody who has input!
See page 73 of your D7000 user's manual.

It does work. I used it just a few days ago when shooting lightning.

Another disadvantage: You can't use it w/ Mirror Up. (MUp).
_emoticon__by_Blingie.gif

One nusance I had with the Nikon IR remote that I had for my D80 was that you had to be kinda, sorta in line-of-sight of the sensor for it to release the shutter. I went with a Phottix Cleon remote from Hong Kong when I upgraded bodies that uses the ten pin terminal. It is a wired/wireless remote. It has a good range and I can be anywhere within that range and it will accuate the shutter. ~$30.

Yep! I use a similar remote that plugs into the 10-pin connector, which Nikon's entry-level camera line-up don't have.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will go with the corded release. I'll mostly be using it for wildlife and macro on a monopod so the cord will be fine.

I have a really cheap corded remote for my D700. It's working well so far, so if I were you, I will try the off brand ones first. I think it cost me less than $10... can't remember.

Click here for a review I did of a corded/cordless after-market release.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will go with the corded release. I'll mostly be using it for wildlife and macro on a monopod so the cord will be fine.
Cool, nothing wrong with a corded shutter release. I use mine corded most of the time. However, something like the Phottix Cleon will give you options. I like having options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back