Nikon SB 600 Speedlight-HELP

ibcookin4u

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can not get power to my SB 600. I have replaced the batteries with brand new just purchased Duracell's. I have tripled checked how they are loaded and still have no power. Nothing lights up, makes a noise or anything. There appeared to be a fine film over the connectors on the battery door so I rubbed it gently with my finger. I need some suggestions on what to do next. Hate to have to send it to Nikon if there might be something I just do not know to check.

B&H Video almost 2 years ago. Have used it many times and took the battaries out the last time and it has been sitting for a while unused in my camera bag.

I will check them. Like I said, I checked the lid to the compartment and they were somewhat. How do you suggest cleaning them? I just rubbed it gently with a cloth.

Rubbing the contacts with your finger will only add a layer of oil. Try using a small piece of fine sandpaper to clean / remove corrosion, then use a pencil to add some graphite to the contacts.

The only way to be certain your nice new Durcells actually have power is to check them with a volt meter.

When I have corroded speedlight contacts, I makeup a solution of water and baking soda. Maybe 2 tablespoons worth. The baking soda neutralizes the acid, which is what the corrosion is, battery acid.

I then dip a q-tip in the solution, squeeze excess moisture out of the tip and then wipedown the contacts. I repeat wetting and removing excess solution from the tip until there is no longer any corrosion visible.

Then I use a pencil lead like kundalini suggested

well, that did not work. still nothing, not even a sound. Any other thoughts. Just curious what it could be and what the cost might be to repair. Wonder if I should just consider a new one? This sucks

well, that did not work. still nothing, not even a sound. Any other thoughts. Just curious what it could be and what the cost might be to repair. Wonder if I should just consider a new one? This sucks
It's impossible to diagnose and quote a repair estimate online.

Nikon Authorized Repair List - Looks like the closest to you is in San Antonio.

I mainly use $90, Vivitar 285HV's and radio triggers anymore. I recently sold a SB-800 that was just gathering dust.

Last edited:
I just called in to ask for a repair estimate at Camera's West $165.

I was having the same problem with my SB600 then I ran across another discussion of the same problem. It turns out that the contact pins in the battery compartment can get bent down so far that the batteries to not make clean contact when the door is closed. I looked closely at the batteries and wouldn’t you know one of them was considerably lower than the rest. Using a bent paper clip I gently pulled on the lower contact until it was bent up at the proper angle. Replaced the batteries, closed the door, and it powered right up.

Definitely give this a try before you take it into the shop, 30 sec. fix saved me almost $200 on a needless repair.

Thanks,
Tyler

When I have corroded speedlight contacts, I makeup a solution of water and baking soda. Maybe 2 tablespoons worth. The baking soda neutralizes the acid, which is what the corrosion is, battery acid.

I then dip a q-tip in the solution, squeeze excess moisture out of the tip and then wipedown the contacts. I repeat wetting and removing excess solution from the tip until there is no longer any corrosion visible.

I just saved my speedlight with this post. Thank you! Now it's off to the photographers hall of shame for not removing the batteries in the first place....

This thread is deemed to be closed since it is nearly two years old. Wait and see. :confused:

You are an Angel!
I had my kids christmas play today and was very upset when my SB600 wouldn't power up. I changed batteries..and nothing worked. Then I sat down and googled for an answer. When I came to your post, i figured, I'd do anything at this point. But behold...it works. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just preparing for a trip home in a few days and I would have been heart broken without my flash gun in working order. :) This works like a charm. I shall never leave the batteries in the flash again. It was silly of me to do so to begin with. lesson learnt. Thank you again!

The only way to be certain your nice new Durcells actually have power is to check them with a volt meter.

Glad this post was revived. Same problem here. will report back if successful.

Thank you for this advice. It saved me my vacation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back